Iceman Custom Help

Ive been looking around at various sites and have found pearleguitars for the body. But i need a neck that would fit, and a good bridge.

Could anyone recommend someone for the neck and a good bridge. Ive been looking at just getting a non-tremolo bridge (budget), so ive been looking at those ibanez fixed edge. Advice anyone?

I don't know...but I have always loved the iceman...why can't we have an iceman build off!

Not familiar with pearleguitars...got a link? Neck to body join is extremely important. Personally, if it's an iceman I love the original extended 3x3 headstock and that is going to be real tricky. I got the impression that warmoth were the only ones making decent iceman bodies and necks...so that would be interesting.

But still...don't make a guitar that is not going to do what you want it to do just because of budget. If you want a tremolo, that's where you should be headed (it doesn't need to be a floyd or kahler to be effective). The bridge though has a big influence on the neck and body...a TOM bridge is going to need a decent neck angle or be recessed to work...of course this is the original design, but they had set necks and stuff so clearly this is really about the shape. Make sure you do heaps of preplanning.

The only way to tell what necks would fit is to consult the manufactures specs or contact them as to what kind and brand of neck they route the bodies out for really.

Anyway...love the iceman...so you better do a good job :D don't want me getting all corvus about it!

pete

Pearle guitars do some seriously good paint jobs and there bodies are pretty good, and are a lot cheaper. link: http://www.perleguitars.com/index.html

He specializes in those custom swirl paint jobs, my friend bought one of his jem replacement bodies. They are pretty awsome in person, but they need a proffessional finish. Ive asked for no paint, so i can make some "changes" to the body. And my uncle is a pro car sprayer (perfectionist) and my other uncle is a craftsman (anything, tables, chairs ect.) So i got some stuff sorted out.

Im gonna try and kinda make it look like paul gilberts fireman, with the clear coat but with two humbuckers instead of 3 single coils. One FRED DP 153 on the neck and a Tone Zone DP 155 on the bridge.

But about the tremolo, i really dont mind, i barely use the tremolo on my 89 fender. Do fixed bridges really make much difference to the sound? could anyone one recommend one?

One big problem i have currently: f spaced or standard spacing for the pickups. And because i dont have the bridge yet, i cant say... so kinda need a good bridge recommendation pls.

Thanks

I can't see any Iceman bodies, or any bodies on that site. I doubt that he actually makes them as his business is painting swirls.

Also, his swirling costs 100+25 (for porous woods) body only, with no clear coat...fair enough...but he has a couple of bodies "for sale" for about $150.

I don't know, but it all seems a little light on in information, unusual pricing, hotmail email accounts, no contact address or contact numbers...hmmmm

So...can't see what you are working with at all.

Anyway...a guitar is a lot more than a slab of wood joined to a neck. You need a total detailed plan, not just a wish list. The bridge needs to match the neck angle, the string spread for the neck...and then you choose pickups that will match these things. There are hundreds of bridge choices, but it wouldn't be fair to recommend anything without some solid info about the total project, what you are trying to achieve and clearly there are budget issues and possibly tool and experience issues.

pete

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Radical/Iceman.aspx

Edited by psw

Nice...only one thing missing on that wall...CoRvUs!

always good to see more iceman pics...is yours a set neck?

I think is is a bolt on. It's pretty bad when you dont remember.

I have more guitars then the wall is big. Mostly project guitars and a few acoustics.

corvus?

Im not familar

Is this a corvus?

http://www.shikbyrd.com/GibsonCorvusPage---_0012.jpg

Edited by billm90

okay, Ive been told that it will work with an original Ibanez edge trem, lo pro edge trem, or edge pro trem. And that Ibanez RG 24 fret, all access neck joint necks will work perfect.

"My favorite necks to use are RG 550 and 570 necks."

A friend of mine actually gave me the website when he made one of his jems. which i have seen, and its pretty impressive.

So im gonna start an old topic up again, f-spaced? f-spaced is for Floyd rose and Fender bridges. so do ibanez floating trems need to have f-spaced pickups?

Yes, they do need f-spaced, BUT always double check by finding a spec sheet of the particular trem your looking at. Look at the String Spread, then compare to the pickups string spread. They shouldn't be exactly the same though, because the pickup isn't that close to the bridge.

Ibanez has a myriad of floating trems and I'm not sure about all of them, but 99% of the time: locking trem = f-spaced.

I can't see any Iceman bodies, or any bodies on that site. I doubt that he actually makes them as his business is painting swirls.

Also, his swirling costs 100+25 (for porous woods) body only, with no clear coat...fair enough...but he has a couple of bodies "for sale" for about $150.

I don't know, but it all seems a little light on in information, unusual pricing, hotmail email accounts, no contact address or contact numbers...hmmmm

He is legit...I live in the same area as him, and have gotten in touch with him. I actually picked up a Mahogony Iceman from him today that I am doing a paint job on. He has many different bodies that he makes! RG, Jem, Voyager, Iceman...he is spending all his time making and swirling these things - so his site is not completly up to date. I hope to become his local contact for clearing and paint jobs other than siwrls...

He is 100% legit, and his work is great! And prices are cheap if you ask me!!!!

Well Good...yes the prices seem good...the site though is a mess! There is no mention of bodies, iceman or anything, just the swirl things and 4 bodies on ebay. Bit of a shame...hope he gets some work done on that if he is building because things like neck pocket specs are kind of crucial and I am not sure that it's going to be necessarily easy or desirable to get an RG neck to fit into the thing. I mentioned the hotmail and lack of physical address as warnings, and really this should be cleared up as well...

thanks for clearing that up though, the iceman is a great alternative design...but I still think it needs the original headstock....

pete

Funny you should say that...I do websites, and completly re-designed one for him. However because the images I used were not his swirls, he couldn't do it. And I understand that. So I am hoping to get some good images of his stuff to put in place, and help him out a little.

What the heck - I can get your guys feedback on the general layout. Again, the background swirl is NOT HIS WORK. It is from a Ibanez DNA...but I would like to get an image of one of his in the same style, I think it looks cool!

Would you be more inclined to buy from this?

Perle Guitars - Future Web Site - POSSIBLY - if he wants it!

Is he on this site??? Hope this doesn't bother you that I posted it! I do think a better site will help you. We'll talk when I deliver your guitar.

L8R

Ive been looking around at various sites and have found pearleguitars for the body. But i need a neck that would fit, and a good bridge.

Could anyone recommend someone for the neck and a good bridge. Ive been looking at just getting a non-tremolo bridge (budget), so ive been looking at those ibanez fixed edge. Advice anyone?

Here is a pic of the hardware on my Iceman

2rojkaq.jpg

You can get a bridge like that one that can be installed at 90 degrees to the strings at Stu Mac http://www.stewmac.com/

and any stop bar will do the job, but if you want the quick string load stop (they are fantastic) I think you can get something similar from Ibanez' spare parts web site http://ibanez.com/

if you sift through the different stop bars they have.

The combination is great for vibrato, happy hunting.

Edited by Muzz