Redwood 6 String Bass

A clean work area is a happy work area!

I can't say that I have a clean work area, but if I had one, i'd be much happier!

As for the redwood, It doesn't look like it has eyes anymore, but I still want to see it after its been cleared. Even if it doesn't have eyes anymore, it still looks awesome for a natural wood pattern!

[edit]

Actually, looking back on the other pictures, they're all taken from another angle. Does the grain dance so that the eyes disappear? that would be AWESOME!

Edited by Narcissism

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the redwood, It doesn't look like it has eyes anymore

The eyes don't really stand out when the wood is unfinished, on the pics where I've wiped the body over with water you can see them more clearly, once it's been oiled they'll really 'pop'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A bit more of an update... Jack has decided to add a ramp, so I've routed out a cavity between the pickups. And as you can see, the fretboard is on and has been trimmed flush with the neck.

001.jpg

000.jpg

002.jpg

Here's a shot of the neck placed on top of the body (there's no neck pocket yet)

003.jpg

How would it help you play softer?

When you pivot your thumb off of the neck pickup (most common practice), you have a tendancy to do the geezer buttler floppy finger slap. The slack from the slap would go between the pickups, and your fingers would also land on the space between the pickups. My bass has a nice wear spot in that area. With the ramp in place, You'll hit it with your fingers harder, and it'll remind you to play softer so you don't hit it as hard. Its more of a mental/physical thing. Imagine being able to lower your action almost down to the height of the body.

I'm kinda sad that the middle of the burrl is gone :D That was my favorite part.

Ramp... Why would you ever want to play softly?

Not only does it mean you can get the action lower because the string will move less, i.e less buzz with the strings pretty close to the frets. With a good bass and amp you can get just as much beef out in a bass line playing softly. Also you can always turn up the amp. Another reason is speed, i don't know about anyone else but i find it much easier to play fast lines probably due to lesser range of motion.

• 9 months later...