Finished New Project!

Here's my latest project. I made it as a surprise for my father when he gets back from Saudi in a couple weeks. It's also a testament that veneered work is not a "cheap" medium, but can also be classy. It's all solid maple top grade ply (so good stuff) that has the outside done in fiddleback mahogany and the inside is quilt figure spanish cedar. The legs are mottle figured mahogany and the door and trim is flamed maple.

I just wanna take a moment to talk about ply again. This is still SOLID wood, it's solid maple and there are no voids in it because this is a high grade plywood, and because it is ply it is extremely stable which is an important thing when you have an internal RH% of 70 and then about 45% on the outside! It's been joined with epoxied lock miters so there's nothing escaping from the joints either. What I'm trying to say is that when used correctly plywood can make an amazing humidor, actually with several advantages over 'solid' wood humidors.

I took this pictures after wiping down the inside to start seasoning it.

The outside is a tru-oil finish made nice and satin with some quad-O steel wool.

Here's the whole package:

Front.jpg

Here she is opened up, notice how the artist "points" at the bottom of the door actually act to hold up the door when open:

Open Front

Here's a picture of the figure on that spanish cedar, tried to get it while still wet to really show ya'll:

Inside

And lastly, a picture of the top so you can see the details of the grain and edge-banding:

Top Detail

Enjoy,

Chris

Goof quality plywood is almost a necessity in modern furniture making and cabinetry. Making a solid wood piece just isn't cost effective anymore. It CAN be done, but ply is a LOT more stable and significantly less expensive, even for the good stuff.

Veneering isn't a new thing. It's been around since at least the beginnings of the Egyptian empire. It was only recently that it became a bad thing - when cheap-a$$ companies decided to put it on MDF & chipboard "furniture".

The humidor looks nice - all except for the uneven bit on the door. :D