Melody Maker

maple/maple Epiphone neck with explorer headstock

chrome hardware

wraparound bridge

Gibson P-100 bridge pup

1 1/2" LP shape slab body

1 volume

thin poly finish buffed matte with steel wool

I have the option of using either walnut or goncalo alves for the body. I'm leaning towards walnut, but I'm not sure. What are the tonal characteristics of goncalo alves?

I think Mickguard has a Melody Maker - maybe he can help you out?

There's actually quite a few on eBay right now, too. Using one of those pretty straightforward pictures of just the 'guard, it ought to be easy to size it you body.

And my questioning to you is; When are ya gonna give making necks a chance?

Not being rude... You're new, so you don't know. I've had this discussion many times, and I'm not interested in having it again right now. Do an advanced search with my username and a couple of key words if you're really all that interested.

...I'm guessing just a little darker than maple.

Everything is darker than maple. :D I hear what you're saying, though - thanks.

FWIW: This is the style of PG I'm looking for...

pg.jpg

Edited by avengers63

Ah - I think that's actually an LP Junior pickguard - when I think melody maker, I think of this:

21hEKaMvgZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

or the straight-across version on the Joan Jett Melody Maker:

mmjjwwch1_.jpg

I feel like I had a copy of the junior style pickguard, but I can't find it anymore...

Not being rude... You're new, so you don't know. I've had this discussion many times, and I'm not interested in having it again right now. Do an advanced search with my username and a couple of key words if you're really all that interested.

Actually, I sorta knew that. I've hung around for while without posting.. :D

I always enjoy seeing new projects popping up here and you being a real busy bee makes me green of envy. I dig your projects thoroughly and at the sametime I'd wish you'd get dirty with the neck business too. :D

All that said with humbleness and respect in mind.. (and hopefully precieved that way too.. )

I always enjoy seeing new projects popping up here and you being a real busy bee makes me green of envy.

One of the few benefits of being out of work - LOTS of time to work on stuff. I'm home alone from 8AM-3:15PM, so I can work like a rented mule with no interruptions.

All that said with humbleness and respect in mind.. (and hopefully precieved that way too.. )

We're cool. :D

I don't understand the need to miss match neck styles with guitar body styles...explorer head on an LP Jnr and you're debating legit pickguards. :D

There is always the disclaimer that "if this is what you want in your guitar, go for it"...however, if it's being churned out for E-bay perhaps a little care and taste would do well for business and your reputation!

I can understand the neck thing, but why not be a bit more adventurous in the overall design and planning and do something a little more of your own that works as a total package rather than a bits'a'this'n'that'ocaster...just a thought.

Better yet, make an explorer for your explorer neck...too conservative?

pete

*whip crack* build a neck

j/k, take it at your pace. I'm sure that when you're ready to build one (you have all the tools) you'll build one.

I noticed that you're doing a lot of projects at once. Why not take a little time to make your first neck? It doesn't have to be a really good one (I Imagine the first one will fail for everyone!) but I'd at least go through the motions and try it out.

The only reason I'm giving you a nudge on this is because I think the explorer headstock won't match :D but to each his own!

If it has a P-100 in the bridge and a junior pickguard, how is it melody maker? Wouldn't that be a Junior? Except that you're cutting the body 1/4" thinner.

I have a Junior if you want that pickguard. Gimme a minute and I'll upload the tracing I have.

Do you have enough walnut/goncalo to make a Goncalo cap and walnut back? Or make it Goncalo on front and back with walnut inbetween(3/8", 3/4", 3/8") and then do a 3/8" roundover to give you a clean line where the Goncalo meets the walnut. That way you'd have enough to potentially make two guitars, assuming you're starting with 1-3/4" of each, and then you don't waste any wood.