Strandberg Tremolo Upgrade

It's a nice piece of kit is the trem and I've read the thread on your ergonomic guitar and found it interesting. However I don't quite understand why this trem makes a strat into an ergonomic guitar? Surely it's exactly the same playing action as the standard Fender trem or a floyd rose equiped one. The only difference being that there is no tuners on the headstock.

Or am I missing something that this trem does that the others dont?

Ergonomics include weight as well. Headless guitar is better-balanced >> more ergonomic.

Also, "ergonomic" is just fun to say. Makes you sound wicked smaht.

I am totally down for one of these when a production run comes around. The only undesirable thing I can see with regards to this project is the route required to reach for the tuning knobs. Is this only because of the lack of neck angle? As far as aesthetics, the larger route might be a tough sell.

Only meant to be constructive :D Keep up the innovation!

Sorry for being off the radar for a few days.

The "ergonomic" is indeed a bit of a stretch here, but as Keegan correctly states, the EGS tremolo is considerably lighter than a Floyd/Strat original. One further point is that the balance of the instrument changes to focus the weight more in line with your body's natural center of gravity rather than way off to the left.

I'm selling off my prototypes, BTW - the only practical difference to a production run is the lack of corrosion protection on the knife edges and the fact that if you look REALLY close, you can see that the edge has been ground off a bit by hand. The durability issue is solved, and another bonus of the design is that the knife edges are interchangeable in case they ever get worn.

I have five units in total. Three black and two silver. Two of the black units have customized bridge seats (one is pictured in the post) to make them lower.

Cheers,

Ola

Keegan: nope, no prototypes left of fixed bridges. In fact, running low on production ones at the moment. Regarding string locks, are you referring to the ones that I am working on now for the double-ball system? I actually have a small batch of black ready right now (as of yesterday). The other strings locks, as depicted in the build in this post are in stock and ready.

Kenny: I have priced the prototypes at 275 EUR. Next production run pricing is TBD as it depends largely on how much the hardening process will cost and what batch size I can order up front. It will likely be somewhat higher.

Cheers,

Ola

I've been reading your blog for a long while now and this bridge is awesome. The only drawback is that it won't drop into a Floyd route. To get the clearance for the fine tuners you have to route part of your body away. This bridge will be a good one for a custom build but for a mod...I'd be hard pressed to start routing wood on a concept bridge.

Keegan, the string locks are indeed included in the bridges. The intent is to create a simple pricing model priced by string.

Considering that the Swedish Krona has lost a lot against the Euro as well, I have been planning to offer free shipping (i.e. 16-20 EUR discount). Only problem is that as of yesterday, I am sold out of fixed bridges.... I will take orders, but it will probably be 4-6 weeks before I can ship. Tremolos are still available.