Oak Guitar

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cam: ofcourse that not her neck :D I'm not that of an idiot to break it like that... well.. hmm.

Sooo ferrules are what they're called? Couldn't find anything similar in my country and whoever i asked couldn't answer me about where could i buy such stuff. I am going to cut a piece of steel and drill some holes in in to accomodate the strings.

Sorry again for my poor english. Cheers everybody... she's almost done. :D

I think you still need ferrules on top...wouldn´t the strings bite into the wood and finish?

It depends on what kind of bridge he uses,if he uses a tele like bridge or plate on top ,too it will work.

Hehe, he mentioned a Schaller TOM bridge on his first post...and there is a pic to prove he has it already! :D

By the way sthell, my respects on building with limited resources...this is an example of what can be accomplished if you set your mind on something! Maybe I should save and buy some rasps...the dining table is thicker than 2 inches...

My bad, he will need something to protect the wood ,he can get away with no ferrules on the back,but will need something on top for sure.I did not go that far back on the post.+1 on respect on build.I like doing things different, the learning curve is faster. hahaha

@Dakhahn: Thank you, i've already did a quick setup a week or two ago and it's playable damn right, just right for shredding, i'm kind of used on the action being pretty high and this guitar is somewhere in a medium format, not too low and not too high, just how i like it.

@Dean: \m/ Thanks man.

@Cam: I've got string sockets for the back, but couldn't find anything suitable for the front.

@MexicanBreed: Well jah, even if it's a hard wood, the strings will still bite.

@Dean: Well i'm not quite Russian, but still from central-eastern Europe. B), I'll let you guys guess where from. :D

@Cam: If you wish to copy the guitar for your own purposes, go ahead! It's Open share i guess, as long as i get to name the shape.

@MexicanBreed: Sincerely thank you man, those are some kind words. I really wanted to do this thing, I have a sort of feeling of being able to do a lot more now. It's also been a very educative process.

@Dean: Thanks again man B)

@StormLeader: Yep. Hopefully i will find some sort of blacksmith around here :D

Right now i'm working on the 3d model of the guitar, still work in progress - 3dsMax/ clay render, will soon be textured and will do the light setup. Still has a few glitches and some light bleeding but will be fixed when new updates are available.

th_vali01.jpg

th_vali02.jpg

Edited by sthell

oooh, sure, no problem, here's a short look. I couldn't find anywhere to cut steel so i used Duraluminium, still have to drill the screw holes. So, right not only the pick-up covers remain to be done. B) Oh joy oh joy. Don't see why it should work. I guess on mine the strings will soften up the metal, but just a bit and they won't bite into it.

Backplate done: Looks better than it looks.

backplate.th.jpg

FrontPlate done:

frontplate.th.jpg

Tools that really helped me on this project (my arm still hurts :D):

machinej.th.jpg

Also: Pantera tribute :D

Edited by sthell

I am thinking ,maybe German....man if you had some tools and some materails. you would be dangerous,I mean that in a good way.hahaha You are working so hard, take a little more time and clean it up more.The mock up is killer.You are the kind of person , that make me feel lucky to have what i have.You will make this sing, no matter what.Keep posting and Rock on.

Dean: haha, not even close, think more western Europe :D Damn man, thank you \m/. She's gonna be ready saturday evening, i drilled all the remaining holes today and sculpted the pick-up covers, right now they're drying after a wet coat of nitrolaquer. She will sing (hopefully she will sing pretty B)). I'm sort of sad she's almost done, and i haven't got the time/resources to build another one, i'm starting to love this "luthier" business (not that i consider miself one) the process is really ... amazing. Being in the position of never have handcrafted something of this magnitude in my life, it's sad ending it, but "c'est la vie!".

________

Another Teaser.

Warning: High Resolution

georgia2.th.jpg

ps": i wounde if I could build a nuclear reactor :D

Will post new pictures when she's done. Also i might be able to do a photo shoot with it since a friend of mine has a really cool camera. We'll have to wait and see.

Best of luck!

Edited by sthell

Sthell, Keep going and your next guitar will be 3 times better!!

If you were only able to buy 1 power tool I would suggest a router, It would make your life soooo much easier. I use mine constantly. Cheers, -Vinny

My parents really like how it's turning out and they sort of accepted to give me half the money for an amplifier, i was thinking of Vox Valvetronix ad30vt, we can't allow ourselves much more for this thing. Is it a good decision? I want a good tone and a little bit of fatness, don't really care about the volume since i don't intend to play in a band or smtg. :D Sorry if my question is misplaced. Cheers!