Neck Through Blanks

I'm looking for a supplier that has neck through blanks.

Preferably a single piece mahogany quarter sawn blank. (I will use carbon bars for strengthening) The fact that I want mahogany brings another problem, international shipping. Other woods are also an option as long as it's not to bright sounding, as I'm using p-90's and would a warmer tone.

I'm located in the Netherlands, and it would be best if the supplier is located in or around these parts. In case of other woods, abroad is not a problem.

Thanks in advance

I know this is one of those questionable questions as it has probably been asked before, but searching for something like this obviously turns up nothing. I hope I'm not duplicating an existing topic.

Cheers

Willem

The fact that I want mahogany brings another problem, international shipping.....I'm located in the Netherlands, and it would be best if the supplier is located in or around these parts.

Only Honduran (bigleaf) mahogany (also called "Genuine" mahogany) and Caribbean mahogany are currently on the CITES list; that is probably why you won't find them locally (or they will be very expensive). African mahogany and Sapele are fair game for shipping internationally, you might want to think about those if you strike out with Honduran.

Limba (also called Korina) is one that has a similar tone to mahogany. But it looks very different.

Thanks for that, it will be finished solid, so looks don't matter. The problem is not getting wood but finding neck blanks for a neck through. And in that case all I can find are strips of different woods (in this case maple & Padouk) to be laminated.

Hello !!

I normally buy wood either from the Amsterdamsche Fijnhouthandel (http://www.fijnhout.nl/) or the Arnhemse Fijnhouthandel (http://www.af.nl/).

You basically need to go there and see what they have in the instrument woods sections of their warehouses. The one in Arnhem seems to have more options readily available, the one in Amsterdam seems to be somewhat cheaper. In both places you can also request a specific piece to be cut from raw wood with your required dimensions if you don't find anything readily available.

Edited to add: You have better chances of finding Honduras Mahogany in Arnhem, I have bought Honduras body and neck blanks from them in the past.

Another source I mostly use for figured woods is Holz-Faszination in Germany (http://www.holz-faszination.de). If you don't see anything suitable in the web site (unsere hölzer/Instrumentenhölzer/Aktuelles/neueinstellungen/Gallery3 (Halsmaterial)), just email them and ask them as the site is not updated very often. Frank is a great guy to deal with.

Hope this info helps.

Can either of you guys in the Netherlands get Mappa burl (European or Black Poplar Burl) easily? It is the one wood I cannot get here in the US in billets and smaller quantities. I'm only looking for a couple of billets, but quality burl.

??

Can either of you guys in the Netherlands get Mappa burl (European or Black Poplar Burl) easily? It is the one wood I cannot get here in the US in billets and smaller quantities. I'm only looking for a couple of billets, but quality burl.

??

Is this what you're talking about ??

getimage-1php3.jpggetimage-2php3.jpggetimagephp3-1.jpg

These are from www.holz-faszination.de, listed as Pappel-Masser/Poplar-Burl.

Already cut as tops (~20mm thick), but I would suggest that you email them about the billets.

YYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

My problem is that it isn't in English, and I wonder if they would deal overseas?

Edited by komodo

YYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

My problem is that it isn't in English, and I wonder if they would deal overseas?

Definitely email them.

I deal with them 100% in english without any problem.

I would guess they'll have no problem in sending overseas. I don't know if you'll have any problem with local customs, though.