Stew Mac "blank Peghead" Strat Necks: Opinions?

Hi,

I need a 22-fret maple board neck for a project. There are many options available in the auctions, but that can be a crap shoot. The Stewart MacDonald "blank peghead" necks ( http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,...itar_Necks.html ) have all the right options and are a good price ($112). Plus, the idea of dealing with them rather than an unknown seller is appealing. I'm assuming these are import necks, but I would expect that there would be an acceptable level of quality control since Stew-Mac is selling them. The oversized blank headstock is somewhat important, because I'll be cutting this down to match an Ibanez headstock shape.

Anyone have any opinions or experience with these necks?

Thanks!

Bert

Edited by stratoskier

One thing that is kind of interesting is that StewMac has a maple fretboard blank peghead neck, but Mighty Mite only seems to sell rosewood ones (MM2916). That's all I can find on the MM site or at any online MM dealer. So maybe StewMac is special ordering the maple board ones from MM. I've read mixed reviews of the MM necks, but it sounds like the recent ones (last year or so) are a major improvement over their older necks.

I haven't tried them yet, but I came to know that they are Might Mite necks, if that helps!

They are not Mighty Mite necks. If they were they would have the brown plastic insert on the headstock for the truss rod adjust. Mighty Mite does not have a neck with a heel adjust. Plus the Mighty Mite rosewood paddle head stock is 85.00 shipped conus.

Also, if this sounded harsh it was not ment to be. I was in a hurry when I replied earlier.

These are Mighty Mite necks and way over prices too.

I've never bought a stewmac paddlehead, but I've seen one on another guitar and it seemed very close to the nice quality necks that come in Grizzly kits, of which I've built two. The $140 Grizzly strat kit is only about twenny bucks more than the stewmac neck alone. The Grizz kits only have IRW FB's though.

They are not Mighty Mite necks, rather, they are made by Mighty Mite for Stew Mac.

I got the Carvin neck-thru neck from Stew Mac a while ago, I've never seen such quality in a neck before, the ebony was pratically pitch black, it had two carbon fibre re-inforcements and plays like a dream as well.

They are not Mighty Mite necks, rather, they are made by Mighty Mite for Stew Mac.

whats the distinction?

i just got myself an allparts neck for a quick project. its nice. not as good as warmoth but better than the mighty mite ones i have seen. the main difference between it and a warmoth was the quality of fretwork... the allparts feels more under done.

The distinction is that Mighty Mite does not sell these necks as their own, they just make them for Stew Mac.

They do this because Stew Mac is not big enough to mass produce their own parts, so Stew Mac designs the necks and Mighty Mite makes them.

Hard to explain and there is not much difference, but the ones made for Stew Mac won't have Mighty Mite written on them, nor have the normal Mighty Mite conventions.

i get all that. i was wondering if you were suggesting that the stew-mac ones will actually be better of even just different to the mighty mite ones. just a stamp doesnt make much difference to me... is the actual construction any different?

I've had one since about 1997 and it's proven to be a solid, stable, neck. If I remember right it had a small sticker or stamp on the heel that said "product of Canada" and "lacquer finish". It's been a mule neck for many projects and been refinned a few times so those markings are long gone otherwise I'd check to verify. anyway, not a bad neck for $89 or so back then.