Need Help Identifying This Wood

It has been a while since I posted here (and since my last build), but now I'm building again :D .

I am currently in the process of building a bass for a good friend of mine. we decided on a black limba body with a top that I'm unable to recognize (so I can't tell him what his bass is made of :D ).

I got the piece of wood from which I made the top from the scrap wood area at a local hardwood warehouse (and there is enough wood for a second top)- it cost me close to nothing. the problem is that no one at the warehouse could tell me what it was. one guy said he thought it was Emboya, but he wasn't sure...

Anyway, here it is:

IMG_6108.jpg

The lighting makes it a bit yello in the picture. in reality the color is greenish-brown (a bit darker then Lignum Vitae). It's a medium-weight wood and it produces a sort of a fruity smell when sanded.

Any input would be great.

thanks,

Binya

I'll second that guess. It does look like imbuya, except yours is a bit more lighter and yellow than the plank I have. (Might be due to the camera flash.)

I've made some small gift boxes from it. It works easily and has a spicy cinnamon fragrance when sanded. That figure should make for an attractive top. Let us know how the bass turns out.

Wis.

I'll second that guess. It does look like imbuya, except yours is a bit more lighter and yellow than the plank I have. (Might be due to the camera flash.)

I've made some small gift boxes from it. It works easily and has a spicy cinnamon fragrance when sanded. That figure should make for an attractive top. Let us know how the bass turns out.

Wis.

I agree it looks like imbuya. If it is be careful it is a toxic wood.

MK

Wis.

I agree it looks like imbuya. If it is be careful it is a toxic wood.

MK

Imbuya it is then.

thanks,

B

maybe not - but i know i had a top set in the back of a car once and it filled the space with a spicy smell quite quickly. you wont need to snort it to know how it smells!!!

I have used Imbuya before and had no issues, Still have some drop tops in my stash. Besides what wood isnt toxic in some shape or form.