Second Guitar

Hi all!

I'm back with my second proper build and first go at a neck, a semi hollow body tele inspired guitar.

Body - Vic Ash with a Queensland Maple top

Neck - One piece Vic Ash, pre-slotted Rosewood fretboard - 24 frets 25.5" scale length

Pickups - Seymour Duncan Vintage P90's

Tuners - Gotoh SGM-05C

Bridge - Haven't bought yet, but will be strat style tremolo.

Original CAD design, has changed a touch since then:

SemihollowTele.jpg

The "F hole" will be moved to the back half of the top, if that makes sense, and the pickup selector switch will be on the top horn, les paul style. The headstock is no longer upside down either.

Where I'm at now:

DSCF0216.jpg

Progress will probably be quite slow on this one, I'm doing VCE this year so I only really have time to build on weekends.

I'm having some trouble regarding the truss rod, hoping someone can help me out here,

do I need to glue it in or does it just sit there? It's a Gotoh 2 way rod, if that helps. The cavity I've routed is a little bit big, but I've discovered a couple of piece of cardboard on the sides makes it a snug fit :D

Simon.

Thanks Peter, I'll try that out tomorrow.

Just to confirm I've got it right here, I wrap the whole rod and casing bit in masking tape before gluing it in? Also what sort of glue would be best, just an epoxy?

Do not glue the truss rod in it needs to be able to bend when tension is applied. Make up some venirs ,1 each side and glue them in then reroute the channel for a snug fit.

That rod I am not familiar with but it must be fitted so that the glue from the fretboard will not get in and jam up the rod.The top of the rod must be flush with the top of the neck blank so that when the fretboard is glued on it is tight up against the truss rod. If its a U channel then place some tape over the open side to stop the glue getting in.

Good luck

Thanks Peter, I'll try that out tomorrow.

Just to confirm I've got it right here, I wrap the whole rod and casing bit in masking tape before gluing it in? Also what sort of glue would be best, just an epoxy?

Do not glue the truss rod in it needs to be able to bend when tension is applied. Make up some venirs ,1 each side and glue them in then reroute the channel for a snug fit.

That rod I am not familiar with but it must be fitted so that the glue from the fretboard will not get in and jam up the rod.The top of the rod must be flush with the top of the neck blank so that when the fretboard is glued on it is tight up against the truss rod. If its a U channel then place some tape over the open side to stop the glue getting in.

Good luck

I agree it needs to be a snug fit, however truss rods are susceptible to buzzing, and I find that glueing in the truss rod, you reduce the chance of buzzing. The purpose of the masking tape is to stop glue coming in contact with the truss rod so that it can slide. This is common practise as far as I know. Simon I just use whatever glue I'm using to glue the fretboard on. Usually epoxy or titebond original. You want to avoid glue coming into contact with the truss rod. For dual action truss rods, I usually wrap both rods and threads in masking tape. Obviously, this is not what everyone does.

Peter

Thanks for all the info guys, I think i have a better idea now. Once I get the rod a tight fit in the cavity would it be a good idea to put masking tape covering the top the channel before glueing on the fretboard, to not let any glue fall through to the rod? Or is there an obvious reason that I'm missing as to why not to do this...

Again, I really appreciate all the help, and sorry for asking the same question over and over again, I just don't wanna make a really obviously stupid mistake with my first neck :D

Simon

• 1 month later...

Finally made some more progress :D

Neck is almost done, just needs the fretboard to be radiused, side dots put in and then fretted.

I've changed the design some more to better suit my skill level :D decided against the hole all together for now - I don't feel confident enough that I'd doing a good job of it.

The bridge will now be a wraparound instead of a tremolo.

Pretty rough around the inside edges, but no one's gonna see it.

DSCF0253.jpg

And the tonnes o' clamps pic, with not all that many clamps...

DSCF0254.jpg

Next is cleaning up the edges and routing control cavities.

Simon

I like the design. Everything looks very classy about it. I agree with a standard headstock, but I like the f-hole in the top horn like it is designed. It is a different shape and very nice looking design, it would be a shame to keep it covered with your arm while playing.

The woods look really nice as well.

Hey,

That's an interesting looking build! I did like the F hole up front/top (top right corner on design) and I didn't mind the upside down Tele neck. Still I really like your take on the tele! Curious how this will turn out.

The neck I just made (it isn't all the way done yet) was also my first. After consulting a guitarbuilder, I decided to rout the channel tight enough that it basically clams the rod in place. I didn't use any masking tape or glue. I still have to see if it works though! At least it's to late for me to change plans as the fretboard is already glued in place. If I'm not mistaken it's the same style trussrod. Good luck!

Thanks for kind words everyone! Maybe I will do the f hole then. What would be the best way to cut it cleanly?

Cam: Can't say I know too much about the Vic ash, or any other wood to be perfectly honest :D It may well not be stable enough for the neck, but i'm doing this as a bolt on so if worst comes to worst i can always buy some more suitable timber and make another neck. I'll certainly let you all know how it turns out :D

Rounded over the edges today, still needs plenty of sanding and cleaning up though.

DSCF0261.jpg

And just a quick mock up, knob placement will probably change a bit. (And there'll be a bridge on the finished one B)) At this stage it will be a blue stain for the finish.

DSCF0257.jpg