Blank For Korina One-piece Neck.

Hello people,

So far when I built a one piece neck I always took special care to choose a perfectly quartered blank.

Now I have to build one for my first "customer". It's a one piece Korina neck that will have a HotRod and twin CF rods at the sides. the frertboard will be RW. But the grain of the wood in the blank I have, while perfectly straight all along the blank, is at about 45 degrees and not perpendicular to the fretboard gluing surface.

I could laminate it in three pieces and reverse the grain orientation on one, but this is finished natural and the customer wants one piece.

So, will it still be safe or should I try to get a new, quarter-sawn, blank ??

Many thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

+2... call gilmer, they just sold me a 36x 2 x 3.5" perfectly quartered blank (which I get two full necks out of with one-piece heels, but i still scarf and then hide with headplate and back strap) for $40!

Chris

Thanks for the replies and the pointer. I'm buying from Europe, so I don't know if it would be practical. I'm in the process of checking my usual local sources.

And about this blank I have:

If I use it for a laminated neck (for myself), for the sides with opposed grain orientation, with a center piece of quartered flamed maple or rosewood. Would it still be a no-go ??

Thanks.

If you oppose the grain as you say,and use a perfectly quartered center piece,you SHOULD be fine..

But since it is a comission I don't know if I would risk it....I would definately do it for a personal guitar...but it would make me worry if it were sold.

For my personal stuff I like to do just that sort of thing.I have not been bitten in the ass yet,but my oldest guitar is only 6 years old as of yet.(the ones I built I mean...)

If you oppose the grain as you say,and use a perfectly quartered center piece,you SHOULD be fine..

But since it is a comission I don't know if I would risk it....I would definately do it for a personal guitar...but it would make me worry if it were sold.

For my personal stuff I like to do just that sort of thing.I have not been bitten in the ass yet,but my oldest guitar is only 6 years old as of yet.(the ones I built I mean...)

I see what you mean, and I fully agree. I was thinking of doing something for my own use, but then again, I only paid 16 euros for this blank, probably not even worthy for personal use either (I want my own guitars to last too !!). I'm already looking for a quartered blank for the commission.

Thanks.