Explain Pickup Choices

Pestvic

1. Neck humbucker

2. Outer coils in parallel

3. Outer coils in series

4. Inner coils in parallel

5. Bridge humbucker

could someone explain this combination in a diagram form? much like this ibanez one with the pickups being red?

2088950996_10a7611d9a_o.gif

I'm not sure if I understand you but anyway....

pos 1+5 are the same as the ibanez.

pos 2 outer coils grey

pos 3 outer coils red

pos 4 inner coils grey

but maybe you're wanting something else? maybe you don't know what 'inner' and 'outer' coils mean?

the colours just indicate how each pickup is configured when in circuit. White means inactive. Red is the pickup with it's two individual coils in series, or humbucking mode. Grey indicates the coils in parallel. Having both pickups in parallel mode, but in series with each other (pos 3) also cancels hum. You're misinterpreting the diagram, perhaps.

I think he is looking for a diagram for the first list of swithcin options. You linked to that Ibanez diagram to show what type of diagram he needs, but it is just confucing to us. Am I right?

I haven't seen exactly what you need. This

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...tic=2h_1v__5wss

is close to the Ibanez in diagram form. This:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_p...gaswitches.html

comes pretty close to what you need, but still no cigar. I have not seem exactly what you want. The mega swithc comes closest.

basically i was going after having a pickup diagram made like this one i made off of your information you guys gave me

prsdiagram.gif

1. Neck humbucker

3. Outer coils in series

5. Bridge humbucker

pos 1+5 are the same as the ibanez.

pos 2 outer coils grey

pos 3 outer coils red

pos 4 inner coils grey

Is this diagram correct? also can you guys get more in depth about what parallel and series are? Thanks again guys :D

No worries. A humbucker is a pair of coils run in series which are reverse polarity and reverse wound. Noise such as hum is induced in each individual coil pretty much equally but at differing polarities, so they cancel each other out. Running the two coils in parallel doesn't have the same noise-cancelling abilities. Parallel tends to give a higher output than series, although you would get a cleaner sound (as in tone, not a lack of noise!) and clearer treble from series than from parallel.

Given your diagram above, if you switched between positions 1 through 5, you would hear noise on positions 2 and 4 plus those two positions probably wouldn't sound that dissimilar from each other. The design isn't difficult to achieve, however.

Edited by Prostheta

No worries. A humbucker is a pair of coils run in series which are reverse polarity and reverse wound. Noise such as hum is induced in each individual coil pretty much equally but at differing polarities, so they cancel each other out. Running the two coils in parallel doesn't have the same noise-cancelling abilities. Parallel tends to give a higher output than series, although you would get a cleaner sound (as in tone, not a lack of noise!) and clearer treble from series than from parallel.

Given your diagram above, if you switched between positions 1 through 5, you would hear noise on positions 2 and 4 plus those two positions probably wouldn't sound that dissimilar from each other. The design isn't difficult to achieve, however.

cool thanks for the info man finally makes sence to me now haha :D

well its not going to be hard for me to achieve cause this is what the prs rotary wiring diagram gives me :-P and im ordering that wiring kit. just want to make sure is my diagram correct to these specs here?

1. Neck humbucker

3. Outer coils in series

5. Bridge humbucker

(one starting on the left going right)

Thanks again :D

Running the two coils in parallel doesn't have the same noise-cancelling abilities. Parallel tends to give a higher output than series, although you would get a cleaner sound (as in tone, not a lack of noise!) and clearer treble from series than from parallel.

Parallel is also noise cancelling, only a single coil tapped or two coils that are not opposite polarity/wind will have hum. Also, series has the higher output, not parallel, because the electrical signal is effectively being summed, not averaged which is what happens with parallel. And parallel will have a cleaner sound/more treble.

haha no no. im using the prs wiring kit. with the rotary switch :-P

i guess i asked wrong :-P umm my question was.

is the diagram i made (the colored one with red and grey) correct? to these specs?

1. Neck humbucker

3. Outer coils in series

5. Bridge humbucker

• 2 weeks later...