Electrice Guitar Neck With French Polish

I've never french-polished a guitar but I do have a lot of experience with applying it.

In my experience french polish is very moisture sensitive, and will not be very effective if used on a guitar that is subject to sweat, beer etc. It is also a very hard finish, but since It's so thin (which is part of what makes it so appealing) its mechanical damage protection is low.

If it was to be a strictly-studio instrument I would consider it as an option, although I remember coming across a franch polished classical guitar that was pretty new and well taken cared of, in which the back of the neck's finish had develop a coarse texture as a result of the player's palm-sweat.

Hope that helps,

B

That does help. I heard that for tonal properties that it is the best better than a poly or nitro. Some makers offer it, but you really never see it. Thanks!

For durability its not high up on the list.

For the guitars you are proposing to build, shellac is -not- an option, period, especially- a Spalted top.

Your proposed guitars appear to be in the 'metal' range of things, you should completely drop the idea of what finish gives the best tone, since that argument only really applies to acoustic instruments anyway.

Acoustic instruments are really the only place where the finish can substantially affect the tone, and for your instruments, tone should be the last thing in your considerations, toughness should be first and foremost.

For the guitars you are proposing to build, shellac is -not- an option, period, especially- a Spalted top.

Your proposed guitars appear to be in the 'metal' range of things, you should completely drop the idea of what finish gives the best tone, since that argument only really applies to acoustic instruments anyway.

Acoustic instruments are really the only place where the finish can substantially affect the tone, and for your instruments, tone should be the last thing in your considerations, toughness should be first and foremost.

Drak it was more of an experimental thing. I never planned on using it my guitars. I was thinking more poly finish...I had someone tell me that water based lacquer is really gaining in popularity. Also, I would never do a French Polish on the Conqueror with a Spalted Maple top. If I did, please evict me know....LOL :D

I had someone tell me that water based lacquer is really gaining in popularity

Hmmm, water-based has been cussed, disputed, re-formulated, and talked about ever since I started building guitars.

I have read enough threads about it over the years to stay very very clear of it. :D

Check the MIMF out, if you become a member, you can search their extensive library, that's where I have read the most about it, personally I have no trust in the stuff after reading so many horror stories over 15 years.

Catalyzed lacquer would be your answer if you know how to protect yourself (it can kill you, either slowly or quickly) or a good catalyzing poly.