Carved Top Tele

I have a Tele project that I am working on.

You can see the whole project at the following.

Texas Tele Project

It's going to be my first carve and I want to get some feedback on my design. I have drwn out 4 versions of the contours. I like some because they stay true to the Tele shape but seem a bit clunky. I like others because they are more organic and flow better.

I guess I'm just looking for input as to which would be better suited for a Tele...I know it's all highly subjective. Also, are there any "gottchas" that I haven't accounted for? My favorite is D...I think I have plenty of flat space for the bridge and neck pickups. I have allowed for getting the entire outer edge down to the proper thickness for binding...it's an alder back with quilted maple top.

Version A: It follows the lines of the body and was drawn starting at the outer profile of the body and moving inward.

crvhi01.jpg

Version B: It was drawn using the opposite approach...starting in the middle with a rounder, more organic shape and working outward.

crvhi02.jpg

Version C: It is a combination of A & B.

crvhi03.jpg

Version D: Is a free form layout that didn't use 1/2" marks like the other 3...just hand-drawn.

crvhi04.jpg

Comments and advice welcome.

Peace,

Mark

If you look around the web, there are a few builders who do carved Teles, you can source them for pics to see what they do for the carve.

In my opinion, I've never seen a carved Tele that I remotely liked, I honestly think they are two good ideas that should never meet.

Teles are great and I love 'em to death, carved tops are great although I don't love 'em very much, but I just don't think the shape of a Tele lends itself well to carving at all.

I just remembered, many years ago I made a carved top Tele myself, I think the thread was Mad Cow Disease, it was a 100% solid burl block of wood, and I even included one of my steerheads in the upper bout, and I trashed it after it was pretty much done, I just didn't care for how it looked, I though it looked like crap at the end.

Primarily because if you give it some thought from a design standpoint, there's no real way to logically end the carve on the upper bout that flows with the design of the bout itself. I ended mine pretty much like you're showing, but after it was done, I just didn't like it at all, and after thinking it through and looking at it from a design standpoint, I logically concluded that it simply doesn't work out well. My personal opinion of course.

never been a huge fan of carved teles myself.

I'd be tempted to get some cheap rigid foam, and have a go at carving that, even something half scale, just to get a better idea. In the end, it doesn't matter which one of your mockups we like, it's what you like. (Or your client if this is for sale) and the easiest way to tell is going to be to see an actual 3D thing you can turn around in your hands and look at from different angles.

I just remembered, many years ago I made a carved top Tele myself, I think the thread was Mad Cow Disease, it was a 100% solid burl block of wood, and I even included one of my steerheads in the upper bout, and I trashed it after it was pretty much done, I just didn't care for how it looked, I though it looked like crap at the end.

Primarily because if you give it some thought from a design standpoint, there's no real way to logically end the carve on the upper bout that flows with the design of the bout itself. I ended mine pretty much like you're showing, but after it was done, I just didn't like it at all, and after thinking it through and looking at it from a design standpoint, I logically concluded that it simply doesn't work out well. My personal opinion of course.

Hi Drak.

Thanks for the input.

The reason I posted here is that I was thinking through alot of what you mentioned. I have even considered going back to a flat top which was the original concept.

tt4color.jpg

But since the body is a 1 & 5/8 alder back and 5/8" maple top...and is glued up and ready for carving, here's my thinking on it.

To start the carve I would take the outer edge down to a hair under 1/4" and then try my carve...whichever idea I go with...then if all else fails, it's a couple of passes through the planer to take the top down to 1/4" all over and move on with a flat top. My only other option at this point is to plane away some gorgeous quilted maple...

pg28.jpg

In this shot the top almost appears to have a gentle slope from center out to the edges...I could see that being a possibility. I looked at alot of other carved Teles before posting but I didn't find anything that really worked for me...again back to your point about it not being agreeable from a design stand point...guess it's subjective a sso many others have seen value in it.

Thanks so much for your time. You've given me alot to think about. I'll update as I move forward.

Peace,

Mark

never been a huge fan of carved teles myself.

I'd be tempted to get some cheap rigid foam, and have a go at carving that, even something half scale, just to get a better idea. In the end, it doesn't matter which one of your mockups we like, it's what you like. (Or your client if this is for sale) and the easiest way to tell is going to be to see an actual 3D thing you can turn around in your hands and look at from different angles.

Thanks J.

I actually started in sofware when we began the project. Originally a flat top, I thought a carved top would add depth to the graphics so I did a 3D mockup to see if it was worth moving forward.

3D Texas Tele Carved Top

Maybe I need to go back to software and simulate some of the ideas posted above. Although carving foam would be cool.

Peace,

Mark

I like the way it looks in the video mockup, what software did you use?

I use Lightwave 3D. I'm an animator by profession. I liked the look in the animation originally but it seems a bit harsh the way it dips suddenly around the edges...just me being picky I guess...probably over thinking this, too.

I did a second animation this evening that has a very gentle roll from center to the outer edges...very subtle but I really like it!

New Tele Carve

Peace,

Mark

The mock up looks great, but doable with tinted lacquer only.

Hi. Thanks for the comments!

I'm prepared for the finish. I already have Mixol stains ready to go. I have red, blue, white and black. I am going to try to tint the alder black but my gut tells me it will look better opaque. Also, the red and blue are not as deep as I need so I'm thinking the tiniest bit of black added to them might get me there...I'll test everything on scrap first of course.

Peace,

Mark