Project Rg

Project RG

I takes me forever to finish projects ... but I might be close enough to post this one.

I needed an RG to play after retiring my heavily modified RG470. I never really liked the feel of a stock RG but I have always loved the wizard neck. Some of the things that needed attention are the volume knob, the arm bevel, the belly cut and weight. In order to retain the look I kept the edges sharp, while drastically increasing the bevels. I still need to work on the heel transition. Since I always hit the volume knob on the stock RG I moved it to a more Gilbert like position out of harms way. Next was to simplify the electronics and the looks. I used a strap jack instead of a regular RG input, removed the middle pickup, single push/pull volume knob to switch pickups, and replaced the edge with a wilkinson. I might add a coil tap switch later but it is not in the plans right now. This is a very personal RG.

The set neck is laminated big leaf maple and walnut with a maple fret board and a bigger Ibanez style headstock (like my 82 destroyer). The big leaf was a little soft but has proven to be quite stiff. The body is poplar, while I should have used basswood I didn't really care since it will be painted and I like the way poplar works. It is currently sealed with thin CA and a top coat of thicker CA. After I assemble it and make sure it is worth keeping I will paint it. No need to paint it to find out it needs a major adjustment.

Neck : Flamed Big Leaf Maple/Walnut

Fretboard : Flamed Big Leaf Maple

Scale : 25.5

Frets : 24

Trussrod : Warmoth

Body : Mostly one piece poplar, small side sections glued on

Tuners : Gotoh Vintage RG Tuners

Pickups : V1, V2 Vintage Ibanez RG pickups

Bridge : Wilkinson

Electronics : push/pull volume swith, strap jack

The biggest issue I have now is painting it. The poplar looks better than I thought it would.

th_100_2208.jpg

th_100_2209.jpg

th_100_2212.jpg

I started the neck in the winter. And it has been sitting around while I decided on what to do with it.

I used a walnut veneer laminated with the Big Leaf Maple to put the lines in it. I am not sure it is as sexy as I thought it would be. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

th_100_1792.jpg

th_100_1791.jpg

th_100_1789.jpg

Results

th_100_2214.jpg

you must like RGs :D

Looks good so far, thats a nice piece of poplar you got there too!

I like wizard necks.... It is weird that I have so many RG projects going on now. But last year all I built were Vs. For personal use I like V, Destroyers, RG, San Dimas Strats, I will build almost anything for money. Except a Corvus. You have to draw a line somewhere.

Strung it up, made a nut, tuned it up... man it was bad. But after putting the correct radius in the bridge saddles and adjusting the nut a little I could feel some potential. The back bow in the neck I saw earlier in the week was gone with a set of .0011s on it. Neck turned out to be dead straight at pitch with no trussrod adjustment. I think the neck moved a little between the fret job and final shaping. I have some tweaking and polishing to do on the frets but we are ready for paint.

BTW 1 7/8" at the nut is huge... wide and flat (16 in radius).

Turned out much lighter than my RG550. I know it doesn't have pickups in it yet, but the difference is substantial.

Sorry for the bad pictures but it is late....

th_100_2272.jpg

th_100_2273.jpg

th_100_2275.jpg

th_100_2274.jpg