Turning Knobs On Amp Produces Static

Kramers Rule

First off... forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this topic. But this seemed the right place to seek advice for my problem.

I have started playing an amp that has been sitting in my closet for the first time in many many years. It is a Fender M 80 combo. I remember liking it's sound a lot but now when I adjust the knobs to contour the sound it produces a lot of static. If you leave some knobs in certain positions it will stay staticy (is that even a real word ?!?!?) until you move the knob back to "more forgiving" position.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a fix to remedy this problem?

If so let me know... it would be greatly appreciated!

Sometimes you can turn the offending control knobs back and forth several times and that scratching sound will go away. They might also need to be cleaned with some contact cleaner, if you are able to spray any into the pots. If it's a "sealed" pot, it's real hard to get any contact cleaner inside of it.

That would account for the static while moving the pot's control, not sure it would leave it with chronic static, but I agree, that's a good place to start.

Right, chronic static requires different measures. But the turning the knob trick often works for something that has been sitting for a long time.

I think what happens is that the contacts just get a little oxidation on them while not in use and the mechanical action of turning the knob back and forth cleans it off and makes a good electrical contact again. And hence no more scratching noises when you turn the knob.

contact cleaner you buy at radio shack. just take off the knob covers and spray the crap out of it. haha and while you are turning the knob spray into it while its crackling and keep working it in, the sound should go away. i dont know if i explained it well enough but let me know :D

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to say thanks for the inputs... rotating the knobs back and forth mostly did the trick. It took rotating them back and forth approx 50 times for the static to go away!

98% of the static is removed. If the remaining 2% ends up driving me nuts I will buy some contact cleaner and finish the job.

Thanks again!