official carrieburst thread

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AlexVDL
Iwouldn't say I cant learn it, but I likely wont ever be a pro builder. Cool. I just wanna play, and that is just what I do.

Why not? If you keep on working on guitars and have patience you could be a pro too. But all you need is to think and measure twice before you go build, saw or glue anything. Good preparation and planning will give you that pro result. Forinstance, using templates while routing a pickup cavity or the outline of a body will result in a pro and clean cut. Just learn from the tutorials and pics others have provide us here. Look at hyunsu, he makes his own templates, and all his guitars have clean routes, and look very good. I don't think a router will cost that much, but when used properly it will give your guitar that pro look we're all after.

So first you need to prepare your woods... make sure all the surfaces are planed and all sides are square.

After that, measure everything twice before you go cut anything. Draw the correct lines, measure it again and go cut or saw your woods. All glue joints must have perfectly flat surfaces, so use a planer.

When you're builing a neck thru, always place the bridge and pickup routes after the neck is done. For proper spacing you can find drawings at warmoth, or plans at guitarbuild.com etc.

Just use your head and think twice before you go build your guitar, that's my only advise. We live in a modern world with powertools, so we all don't have to be skilled luthiers with chisels etc :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm almost done with the pre-finishing work on the neck and body, so if I can get the dye job done soon, it will have time for finish coats, cure and be buffed out/assembled. But I'm going to be gone the last week of December, so it's not a sure thing getting it for January first.