Cracked MOP

daveq

I'm assuming that there is no way to cover up a crack in MOP, right? The inlay is an irregular shape and fairly difficult to cut (almost like a X shape). If I take it out and try to replace it, I'm afraid that I won't be able to match the shape close enough to make it look like there was no mistake made.

The fretboard is ebony so I do have a little bit of play - but won't it show up when I oil the fretboard if there is too much glue/ebony dust in my cover job?

This really stinks. I am about to press in frets and now this crap happens. :DB):D

Make an exact tracing of it before it's removed and send it to me.

I may be able to help. You can deal with it in ebony. Don't worry. Just make sure your removal is very clean.

You won't be able to fix the crack. Not well anyway.

If it's only one small inlay and it's not crazy I may be able to cut it for you. As a Christmas gift :D It sucks to have that happen..

Does this sound helpful? Let me know. You pay shipping though..

Craig

If it's only one small inlay and it's not crazy I may be able to cut it for you. As a Christmas gift  It sucks to have that happen..

Does this sound helpful?

Wow, thank you very much!

I'll give it a shot here first, and I may need to take you up on your offer.

To remove it, do I just use my dremel and spiral bit? Should I try to heat it up to loosen the glue? I used CA glue and I don't remember if heating it helps or not?

I've been working on this neck/fretboard for months now and was about to start fretting it. I was getting pretty excited but when I saw the crack - I was sooo dissapointed. I think I may have clamped on top of it when placing it on the drill press. I thought I was being careful but I was pretty tired at the time so who knows.

Thank you very much for offering to help. I probably won't be able to give it a try until the 29th since I'm traveling. If you have any suggestions for the removal process, I'd love to hear them.

Dave

Hi Dave.

Contact me at

Clavin@handcraftinlay.com

Speak to you soon.

Craig