OUCH

Well, while trying to shave down the neck on the padauk guitar, I obviously cut it too thin because this happened:

back.jpg

So, following the tutorial, I steamed the fretboard off. This was definately a lesson in what not to do. Obviously the glue job was not that great, as it took less than an hour to take off. Maybe if I had intentions of regluing it, I would have been more patient.

Fretboard being steamed off:

iron.jpg

boardoff.jpg

The channel from top:

channel.jpg

The good news is that I was able to salvage the trussrod. Since my Stew Mac order won't be coming until Monday (damnit), maybe I can get started on finishing the Bubinga neck.

The truss rod to live another day:

rod.jpg

so you were trying for one of those thin ibanez type necks? shoulda gone with a smaller double rod, there's another kind that has a square peice of metal and one rod, it's a bit shallower then the hot rod and might have saved you some tears :D sorry dude i feel for ya, i really do, that was a nice looking neck

Obviously the glue job was not that great, as it took less than an hour to take off. Maybe if I had intentions of regluing it, I would have been more patient.

Fretboard being steamed off:

Nah, on average it takes me 30 minutes to steam off a fretboard and save it, if you leave it on to long, you put to much moisture into the neck itself and end up with a nasty cup on the neck for regluing the fretboard anyway ;P

I agree with LGM on the glue issue. It hasn't taken me more than an hour to remove a fretboard yet (I have done three so far).

Do you have calipers? I use them constantly to check the thickness while shaping the back of the neck. You probably know this, but I'll say it anyway - leave at least 1/8" of wood under the rod.

Some people have complained about the min. thickness required for a hotrod install but I don't mind. The difference between the Ibanez wizard and the min hotrod neck is actually pretty small if I remember correctly.

I can feel your pain - it looked like a great neck. Maybe the next one will be better? That's what I always try to tell myself when I have to redo things.

maybe you could get that fret board flattened, then run it through a planer and take it down from 1/4" to 3/16" ?? next, get some extra padouk and glue it up the center of the back of the neck, you'll have to get it glue on there good but then you might be ok to reshape that part?

i just hate to see a nice neck go to waste, i'd try to fix it if only for the experience and to see if i could actually pull it off