What's the deal with Jems?

Pushead

It seems everything I've read about lately is about Ibanez Jem type guitars. What's the big deal about them? How are they different than any other higher line "Super-strat" type guitar? I've had bad experiences with Ibanez (mid line RG series). Other than being a "Steve Vai Signiture" (I know not really) why are they worth so much?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking them. I know many people think the same thing about my selections too. I just don't understand the big difference between a $1600 Ibanez Jem, and a $1300 neck-through ESP or Jackson.

Truthfully, it's just because a lot of people here are refugees from the Jemsite.com forum (which, in a change for me, I will NOT bash today). If Brian had been a super active member of an ESP forum then you'd probably see a lot more people posting about their M-II to KH-1 conversions.

as for how is a Jem that much different than anice ESP or Jackson, it's really not.

i wouldn't know, they couldn't pry my regular non super strat outta my dead cold hands till long after i was dead!!!! actually i would have to say that the jems are very nice looking guitars, i mean who cannot fall in love with that lovely wonderful vine inlay, that alone on the white and gold hardware color schemed one i played around with once was a beautiful piece of equipment, i liked it, just that i dont have that kinda cash laying around so i dont get too attached, plus i agree, swirly paint jobs rule

Truthfully, it's just because a lot of people here are refugees from the Jemsite.com forum (which, in a change for me, I will NOT bash today). If Brian had been a super active member of an ESP forum then you'd probably see a lot more people posting about their M-II to KH-1 conversions.

as for how is a Jem that much different than anice ESP or Jackson, it's really not.

Pretty much right on the money..............

Although I did started Project Guitar in hopes of straying away from the Ibanez only crowd.

Truthfully, it's just because a lot of people here are refugees from the Jemsite.com forum

Ahhh hah. Well that makes sense.

I never knew what those pyramid inlays were supposed to be before coming to this site. :D

Yeah, I dig fancy type finishes too. I've always wanted to buy a Jackson with the setting sun type graphic overlay. They're just too expensive, even on ebay.

Most ESP guys only put EMG pickups in, not many worry about inlay changes or anything. Plus ESP is putting those Skull-and-crossbone inlays on tons of guitars lately. And really, the KH-2 isn't that big a deal. If you want a good sounding ESP, get one of the Hetfield signitures. The EMGs sound better in the mohogany than the alder bodies. You wouldn't think so, but it's true.

I'll chime in as an avid Jem lover,

The Jem has a few things about it that NO other guitar has, which, are only useful if it's what you want.

Well, honestly, not just the Jem.

The Jem is like the "elite" RG, and the RG's, have one thing far and above better than any other guitar on the market, IF it's what you need.

If you are a whammy bar user, The Edge, and Lo Pro Edge trem is second to none. It is simply the most accurate trem system on the market for heavy bar use. now, having said that, There are 2 other trems I've used that are just as accurate, but in my books, still not as useful, here is what and why

The ball bearing trem on the Vigier Excalibur, and the Parker Fly floating trem.

Both are deadly accurate, but neither one allow the intense pull ups and deep dive bombs as the Edge system. I have either owned, or installed most kinds of floating bridges in guitars, from Kahlers, Schallers, Peavey's, OFR's, lo pro FLoyd roses, Edge's, Lo Pro Edge's, Wilkinson, Standard strat style, TRS's, Lo TRS's, and blah blah blah. None, are as accurate as the Edge systems. Having said that, the Edge can also be one of the most finicky to set up as it is so smooth, but, like a finely tuned Ferrari, once it's set up, it's pedal to the metal and go.

To me, this is the biggest benefit to the RG/JEM/Universe/S/JS, and all higher end Ibanez guitars. Pickups, well, the Jems come with a pretty high end pickup, but, still, not all people like them. Pickups are not a really valid consideration because they are easily changed.

The Jem neck, to ME is perfect, there is no other guitar with a neck like it. The Jem was also kind of the first Mainstream shred guitar to have funky inlays, it also sported new exciting colors, the neons, flowers, and then swirls (admittedly, swirls were first done by ATD on fenders in the early 80's) but popularized on the Universe and jems.

The Jem isn't necessarily better than alot of other guitars, but doing Jem style inlays, and Jem finishes comprises the majority of my business. I even have a customer sending me a OM10 Larrivee for a Jem vine (not my personal choice on a Larrivee) so it's obviously a popular vine, however, it was not original, it was first seen in the 70's on the Bob Weir Ibanez.

So, bottom line, are Jems perfect? for me yes, for you, maybe not, are they better than most guitars? for their intended purpose, I think so, huge whammy antics and shred abuse is what the Jem is designed for.

Are they versatile? yes, very, they have amazing tonal variety with the pickups they use. They also offer one of the best access neck joints on a bolt on neck guitar.

Are they worth the money? well, if it's what you want, they are. PRS's aren't worth $5000 either, but they get it. If you consider what a Jem costs, vs building a guitar yourself, or even modding an RG to look like a Jem, they aren't that bad a price, certainly comparable to a USA strat, or any Les Paul if not a little less money, for what is IMO a far more versatile guitar.

No, I'm not a Jem or Ibanez snob, I just love the guitars I play, and I play them, because they are the best guitar for me. I've owned a lot of guitars, and the Jem's, Universe's, and RG's just do it best for me.

I think they are worth the money, and will continue to play them until I find something better.

If you are a whammy bar user, The Edge, and Lo Pro Edge trem is second to none. It is simply the most accurate trem system on the market for heavy bar use.

I hear this a lot and it hasn't been my experience. I have nothing bad to say about the Edge (well, except that I can break the bar holder just by looking at it, apparently) but I've found that 90% of the double locking (and even the single locking) trems I've tried, when properly set up have held perfect tune under extreme use. Feel is always subjective, but for me I couldn't really recommend them over all other trems.

whats wrong with being addicted to a guitar, theres far more worse addictions out there right? i think its great that hes taken the time to point out in his opinion what makes it great guitar, i dont play alot of satrianish or vaiish styles of music, i love SRV and Clapton and Hendrix and Eric Johnson, also s huge Nirvana fan, love Kenny Wayne Shepard, and various others, these licks that I play around with almost always ended up being played on a strat so its all good, if i was a big vai fan i would probably want to pick up an ibanez style guitar to help catch that right sound, theres no set law that says, I am the mighty Gibson Les Paul, all bow to me) but if your after that Jimmy Page sound, you might start there, my point im trying to make is if your after copycatting someones sound, get an identical axe and go from there, if your after your own sound, get several types of guitars, try em out, play with them, feel them, listen to them, abuse the hell outta them, see what they are capable of, break them, then later on if your like attached to that wonderful ernie ball aixs because it just feels right and your able to dial in that sound you were after, then who cares if its 2 grand and it was the axe eddie was using, just like if your able to grab that sound outta a 99 dollar pawn shopper that says hondo on it, more power to ya, play it with pride then, thats my opinion, i just happen to love my spart parts strat, so im happy as happy can be and the next one i intend to build will be a hardtail cause hes right, the strat trem system sucks period, then only thing i dont like is retuning, retuning, retuning, yea that gets kinda old and anyone i have ever talked to, techs, players, salesmen/players have always said that the ibanez trems on thier cream of the crop end of thier guitars were always superb cause thats one thing i have always griped about was my (with synchronized tremelo) hehehe sorry couldnt resist that one :D

Well, I'm a non-Jem player here. I'm even a non-whammy player. I've always been addicted to Fenders. I've had occational affairs with ESP, but I always come back to the Strat.

There's no doubt that Steve Vai and the Jem guitars have changed the electric guitar as we know it. And while I don't really want a Jem, I enjoy watching what y'all do to your guitars so I can apply it to what I want to do.