noob bass building help please!

Hey all, this is my first post. I am in the process of designing and building my first bass guitar. First of all, does anyone know where I can find a template for a neck pocket for a Fender J-bass neck? also, does anyone know the distance between the pocket and the bridge, so that I don't mess up the scale length?

Another question is about the wood I'm using. I'm using a piece of 2" thick, 12" wide black walnut that my dad had in our garage for the last 15 years or so (it's about 8' long so I have plenty of length to work with). I am also using a maple neck with an ebony fretboard that I ordered from Warmoth.com. I haven't seen much black walnut being used, and I'm wondering if it is somehow not suited for basses or something. Anyway, if anyone has any help for me on these issues, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone else has tips that might save me some trouble later on (problems that I haven't yet anticipated) that too would be helpful. Thanks!

Dan D

skibum5545@hotmail.com

:D