which first?

12b345b67

ok, so now ive sanded my strat-style bolt-on neck ready for oiling and painting on the headstock. heres the question, which should i start with? painting headstock or oil the rest (yes everything else on it.)?

:D

ok, thanks. that was what i thought, you dont want oil under the paint, do you?? =)

Ok, I have a stupid question. Just how critical a situation is oil under a finish? Is it the same for all finishes?

I would like to use a linseed type brew as a stain but I will be putting an acrylic lacquer or maybe poly over it. I have done a test on scrap and so far so good but I have not build up a thick finish or subjected it to the trials and tribulations of time and abuse.

Will it hold up? It's a great look for this wood but not if it chips, bubbles, discolors or blows up in a fit of chemical incompatibility. Will I end up on the superfund list? :D

I don't know for sure but I don't think many finishes bond well with oil. The only one I am aware of is Shellac. From what I have read, it can be used as a barrier between oils and other finishes. There are other issues to be aware of concerning shellac so check into it first.

Well, you're dancing with the devil. You may win, you may not.

You may pull it off OK, but I would rather avoid it, I hate taking unnecessary risks at the expense of starting all over again if I knew there was a safer way beforehand...

Linseed is a soft finish. Poly is a hard finish.

The old finishers' rule is: never put a softer finish under a harder finish.

IF you did the linseed -really- thin, and IF you used a barrier coat of fresh shellac over it and IF you waited a goooood looooong time between all these coats to let things cure good before continuing on to the next formulation (almost impossible for some people to wait the recommended time frame)...then you might have a shot at it, it might just work fine, but you still run smack into the old finishers' rule in the end.

The point I'm trying to make is, is it really worthwhile to even try it if you could do the stain some other, safer way, like using a water-soluble or alcohol-soluble stain, or using fresh shellac instead? All these ways are a bit safer than linseed oil under poly. I can't imagine shellac not giving you just about the same color/luster as a linseed would, and shellac is safer than oil under poly. I still wouldn't go very thick with the shellac.

No expert, just my crappy worthless .02.