Bolt on neck to set neck?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

yes, and actually quite easy. Just remove the finish from the neck and the pocket. The glue and clamp tightly. wait 36 hours (i realize the bottle says 24) and de clamp and string the bad boy up.

I did it on an encore LP copy. tone was improved. I also added a non fender (ugh!) heel to it. I cant stand fender style heels. I figer if it isnt a fluid heel, it'll play like crap past the 14th fret or so. Personal preference.

would adding a couple of properly aligned dowels help between the end of the neck and the body.

Also what about using dowels to ensure alignment by using them to replace the neck bolts?

That's exactly what I've done. After gluing up the neck I drill for the dowels and either cover with a plug of matching body wood or covered with the back plank in the case of this three piece body.

The "inlay" is just a glorified shim to fix my boo-boo routing the neck pocket. :D

Woody05s.jpg

I'd also shim the entire pocket - removing finish from both sides of the pocket & neck will result in a pretty sloppy fit, and that will not aid sustain or tone, and might not even be structurally sound - no matter how much glue you use.

For a set neck, you want a pocket tighter than a gnat's pooper... :D

That neck was tight enough to support the body before it was glued. The neck was new and unfinished so it only needed a quick sanding to rough up the grain and clean off any finger oils. My only problem was routing it too deap.

Always route for the neck. Either adjust the template to fit the neck or make a new one.

dowels are a good idea. i didnt use em, and it worked fine. However, I was thinking....if the neck has the trussrod adjustment at the heel, not the headstock, this is a bad idea. I also used the screws and plate to "lock" the neck in the right place. one problem...theose bastards were hard to get out.