Iceman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, dissolve a steel wool pad in a quart of white vinegar. When it's all gone, strain it thoroughly. This vinegar/iron mixture then gets applied directly to the wood. A chemical reaction takes place with the tanic acids in the wood, turning it black. The amount of tanic acids directly correlates to how dark it'll get. Oak and walnut turn virtually solid black.

Noted!

The acids are already there. The vinegar is simply causing a chemical reaction to turn them black.

As for adding them with the powder, I can't tell you. That part of the process was taken from an article in Popular Woodworking. I'll trust them to NOT give you something that would damage the wood.

Maybe a dye/stain could get a similar looking effect, but that's it. Using one of them would mean having to put a finish on or risk rubbing it off. OK, maybe not so much with the dye, but it would still just be on the surface. The vinegar actually turns the wood fibers black from the inside out, not color them on the surface. I don't know how deeply it penetrates, but I know it'll never rub off. The wood itself will have to be worn away for the color to be lost.

And that's the #1 reason I went with this method. I wanted a natural-feeling, relatively unfinished neck that was jet black. To my knowledge, that wouldn't be a feasible long-term possibility with dye. Oak is simply too heavy, so walnut was the only realistic choice. It works out pretty well that walnut has a great tone.

Ahhhhhh... naked neck with color added . :D

Tre cool.

Not the drummer , either.

I asked because I use vinegar to remove stuck on concrete from my work clothes when they get splattered. The acidity in it breaks down the concrete because of the protiens or whatever ... I just didn't know if it would do the same to wood fibers ....

Can this be used on ebony itself to eliminate grey streaks?

I have no idea. I suppose it'd depend on the levels of tanic acids in the ebony. I've experimented on scraps and found out that every piece of wood has some tanic acids in them. Some have a lot, some don't have very much at all, but every single piece of wood I've tried it on darkens some.

What I'm going to do is buy just the press insert, then put that into a block of wood. I don't have a press or clamp, so I hammer the frets in. I figure this will give me a better application of force across the width of the fret instead of concentrating it into one place.

I just fill the slot with super glue then take a rubber tip hammer and push them in with that and slide the hammer across the fret pushing it in instead of hammering then take an extra radius block and squeeze clamp the fret in (I usually have three frets in before I clamp) let it dry a couple mins, move on and repeat. I find this is cheaper than buying press inserts and all that stuff and with this process I have only had to level the frets once (my first build) other than that the frets stay perfectly level, that is if the board is level to begin with.

Love this build though, its lookin good and I like that ebonizing technique I will have to try it sometime.

Edited by Juntunen Guitars

What I'm going to do is buy just the press insert, then put that into a block of wood. I don't have a press or clamp, so I hammer the frets in. I figure this will give me a better application of force across the width of the fret instead of concentrating it into one place.

I just fill the slot with super glue then take a rubber tip hammer and push them in with that and slide the hammer across the fret pushing it in instead of hammering then take an extra radius block and squeeze clamp the fret in (I usually have three frets in before I clamp) let it dry a couple mins, move on and repeat. I find this is cheaper than buying press inserts and all that stuff and with this process I have only had to level the frets once (my first build) other than that the frets stay perfectly level, that is if the board is level to begin with.

Love this build though, its lookin good and I like that ebonizing technique I will have to try it sometime.

But now the radius block has fret imprints and superglue all over it

But now the radius block has fret imprints and superglue all over it

No it doesn't get super glue on it, there might be a few drops but it doesn't get all over and I forgot to mention I build my own radius blocks but if you have just the couple dents in it it won't mess up your sanding shape. I use a spare block I don't use for sanding but I used to use the same blocks and nothing ever hapened with the sanding.

never said in wouldn't, honestly I wish I had one of those inserts it's just I don't have the extra money for one right now and my technique works for me so yeah but it is a good idea what you did , you even saved some by not getting the caul for it

I was talking with the wife about getting the caul and buying an arbor press locally (and paying $50 less for it!). She's the one who suggested I do the "block of wood" thing and still hammer them in. And that's why I love talking it all over with her. She thinks further outside the box than I do.

The insert was only $5 or so.

John - just "borrowed" your idea for my next neck.

Which one - the press insert, the back bolt, or ebonizing the wood?

Edited by avengers63

I got the binding all welded together with acetone and the binding laminator.

wip40.jpg

after some testing with the other piece, I did the binding channel for the headstock.

wip41.jpg

And because I'm a little obsessive, I had to ebonize the inside of the channel as well. Just in case, ya know?

wip42.jpg

Right now, the binding is in place with the glue drying. Even though it's c/a, I'd rather let it sit for a while.