Emg ?

low end fuzz

thanks guys;

just to be perfectly clear....here we go..... :D

when i order the 2 pickups they each coming with i.e. volume tone jack i just throw away (not litterelry) everyting from the 2nd set exept a volume pot and wire them as stanard setup?

i was under the impression they came in a harness like the bartolinis pre amp;

thanks again,

grant

i do think that emg offers a solderless harness you can get with some of there kits but im not sure i haven't ever wired one of those.

btw it may be that i have wired up so many zack wylde sets but i think they are easier to wire than standard pickups.

You do have to solder the wiring...the only thing you don't have to solder are the pickups to the quick connect(obviously),and the presoldered capacitors at the back of the pots.It has been a while since I installed a set,but in every one of the three dozen or so installs I have done I soldered every single one of them.

The only sets that you can get prewired as far as I know are the strat pickgaurd mounted ones and the ZW set specifically intended for the LP has alot of the connections made..as far as I know the LP is the only guitar that consistently has wiring tunnels large enough for the quick connect clip to slide through,and even then it is a tight fit.

the last EMG set I saw came with two wiring harnesses

One side was attached to the connector and the other side is bare wire. Plus all the controls as well.

Seems to me all you would have to do is add the new harness(s) and connect the PUP's

Seems to me all you would have to do is add the new harness(s) and connect the PUP's

Pretty much.One end of the wire is already soldered on all of the controls.Sometimes you have to desolder something and make something different to fit...

Easy kit though for sure..the hardest part is soldering the ground braid to the back of the pot without burning the interior wire

Mind posting a link to these quick connect pots..I have never seen them and I just went to EMG and see nothing new as far as that stuff goes.

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/1/1

They CLAIM a solderless install,but all of those loose ends that they don't show are to be soldered.look here to see the entire picture

http://www.gpdusa.com/Guitar_Parts_Depot-EMG.html

Also..those connected pots are never the right distance apart,you usually have to desolder and reconnect them.

I think if you buy these thinking you just clip everything together you will be very disappointed.

The set was active so I didnt see any braid and the harness was not soldered in. Everything was loose.. The pots were standard with no connector..

quick connect started around 2002. All earlier models have direct wires coming out of the pickup that you need to run to the pots. The only advantage I see out of the quick connect is that it makes swapping out pickups a lot faster... which is nice in the shop, but I don't see a useful application for the typical guitarist.

do you remember what model the pickup was it may have been some early 89 or something like that. or just a older emg im guessing they didnt have a quick connect harness in the 70's but i dont know they could have.

I just looked at a few sets on the EMG site (Humbucker) and it looks like I describe. Connectors on the Pups and standard pots no connectors. Not sure if this was the series but close enough. I didn't do the wiring as it was a student, I forced him to do it himself as making another trip to my shop to solder a few wires made no sense. he had done soldering before.

http://www.emginc.com/products/category/148/1

Moth is correct..when I first switched over to EMG actives in about '94 they were just like everything else..wires coming out of the back.To be honest I prefer it that way,because it just seems like a less problematic connection...

That's what a heat-sink is for.

Good for you...want a cookie? :D

There is a fool proof method of doing it flawlessly every time...but it requires practice and patience,so I don't know if it is up your alley...but if you put a solder "pool" on the back of the pot,then season the braid itself with solder,then hold the braided wire to the pool of solder and solder the two things together,it makes a very nice,pretty connection.

And clean your dang tip...tin it as well before you even start the work.

DSC_0006-1.jpg

This is what they sent me, it is solderless except to the input jack (I think). If you don't have them like this, contact customer service. All of the wires go to a buss, which go to the output jack, again, not sure if there's a quick connector to that, but I don't think so.

Edited by Reinhold