Stupid Little Side Project (tele).

So, I was bored today and ended up making this:

4421916306_c6e9498a5f_o.jpg

Then decided that it needed a pirate ship, so, after about 30 minutes with a soldering iron, we had this burned into it:

4421916982_0cbd002e8a_o.jpg

I picked up some green stain at Lowes today, so I'm probably going to attack it with that.

It's spring break for me, so I have to keep myself occupied somehow. Lol.

Bahahaha, I actually thought about putting "Arr Matey" In script under the neck pickup. Lol

It was a bitch burning that, though, because the variations in the grain made the soldering iron pretty much go all over the place, but all in all I'm happy.

And as far as staining is concerned, I'm not doing anything special. It's a green water-based stain (called Northern Ivy I think). I wanted to use Tung Oil but googled it and everything said that it had to be an oil based stain for the oil to work, so I ended up purchasing a rub on poly. We'll see what happens.

...and it's actually lowes stain. I applied the first coat today and am pretty disappointed with it, but oh well, I'll live. Hopefully I can save it.

Here's a few photos:

I decided that I wanted a bit more of a bevel on the lower horn (not that it'd really do anything with a 24 fret neck, but whatever), so I pulled out a precision guitar-building tool...

...an angle grinder.

4422068735_1ee35dc7cb_o.jpg

and on the back to fit my side a bit better:

4422069877_0a7ecd2398_o.jpg

And here they are after a few minutes of sanding:

4422837508_5809256ffa_o.jpg

4422070767_50b24f3439_o.jpg

Then i rubbed a bit of water on it to get the grain to rise:

4422838346_2c6794936b_o.jpg

I should have left it alone here, but my dumbass decided that I wanted a green tele/esquire thing.

4422839472_16b6baf30b_o.jpg

That's after the first coat of stain, but before rubbing off the excess. Hopefully after I sand off the taller grains and add another coat it won't look as bad. I'm pretty much planning on going over the whole thing with a soldering iron again.

Ya win some. Ya lose some.

That aint lost.

I'd leave the "ocean" color around the ship to make it look like its in the water.... maybe use a mahogany stain to do the bottom ala "land" and then re-burn your graphics to bring em back out. Maybe even relic the finish like an old ship board look or something.

It aint over till the round lady sings. :D

lookin again , that nice strip of dark wood looks like the horizon - roll with it.

I like that concept. A Lot.

Right now I'm just sitting around and waiting for it to dry to asses the damage and what I can do to fix it. Reburning and probably relicing (sp?) are both definitely going to happen.

As far as the land, if I apply a darker color directly over the top of this, will it look right? I usually paint things, not stain them, so I'm new to this game.

Edited by alloyguitar

I'd sand off the bottom portion ( that stain aint that deep ) and maybe inside the sails. Try doing anothe coat of the green just around the ship ... maybe do some white inside the sails ... or even black like the Black Pearl . Arrrgh. You could stain some of the bottom spots darker brown , leave some lighter , like sand along the "shore" and then clear it all in once you're done.

Take that side-project and make it rock! :D

Edit:

the grains even look like waves in the ocean ......

4423533529_6e04947ddc.jpg

Mental Note:

Next time, I should triple check to make sure the neck pocket/bridge location is absolutely straight. The High E string hangs off the fretboard slightly...

..plus the neck in general is just too high. I had to space the bridge up to make it playable.

Oh well, it was entertaining and looks cool on the wall.

the neck should be pretty easy to relocate loosen the screws and see if you can pull it straight if not then just a little sand paper and time on the body to get it right.

also a pickgaurd (something that looks as unique as the guitar) to straghten up the humbucker and your ready to go.

I thought about taking some copper or something and putting CLR on it (makes it look like hell) for a pickguard, but I might save that idea for my next one. After looking at it, I think I'm going to have to move the bridge somehow (haven't figured that out, yet), because I tried to set the intonation today and it's just not going to happen.