Super Maple Strat

I am about to make super strat style guitar from maple.

It will have neckthru design with one humbucker and one volume pot.

Originaly I tought that I will make PRS but then I wanted guitar that repesents more the style of music that I play (80s)

And here are my drawings.

IMG_0321.jpg

Actual build will start at next month when I go to woodworking course (It was meant to start at this week but it delayed for some reason.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it be all Maple?

Everything exept fretboard.

Hmmmm. interesting. Iv played some all maple guitars that sounded absolute shite, But I have an all maple Les paul type thing that sounds savage. Built an all flamed maple thinline tele for a guy that was brilliant aswell. what typ of maple are you using ? All hard ? or soft for the body ?

Will it be all Maple?

Everything exept fretboard.

Hmmmm. interesting. Iv played some all maple guitars that sounded absolute shite, But I have an all maple Les paul type thing that sounds savage. Built an all flamed maple thinline tele for a guy that was brilliant aswell. what typ of maple are you using ? All hard ? or soft for the body ?

My wood is soft maple and it will be totaly from that.

This will be a carved top right? I like the design, I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I am still planing that. The woodworking course last only for one weekend and 8 hours per day so I am not sure does I have time to do carved top.

But those cutways will be carved for sure.

I soo your acustic project, looks very nice

Edited by HenryM

I am still planing that. The woodworking course last only for one weekend and 8 hours per day so I am not sure does I have time to do carved top.

But those cutways will be carved for sure.

I soo your acustic project, looks very nice

there is a video on how to do an arch top pretty easily

Are you hand carving the cutaways?

And I am putting more pictures up of my acoustic and several electrics I am doing on my facebook page and on this site tonight so check back later. :D

Hey thanks for that video, Actualy I had seen it meny times before but this time it was more like inspiring.

Last time I carved top that way I was making les paul with 6cm thick body and 2,5 cm deep carve so it took long time to do (4,5) hours

but 1 cm carve that I would do would take maybe 30 min. Or I could make those steps and take rest out with chisel.

Cutaways will be carved by hand with chisel.

I will take lots of pictures at course (If I remember) :D

I did bought that. I dont have tools to make fretboard and it was cheap also.

You should look into getting some tools or it. Making the fretboard is one of my favorite things to do in a build. I might be able to send you a radius block, message me with the sixe you want and il make one.

Maybe next build :D What would I exactly need to make one. I haven really think about making my own fretboard

before becoase pre made fretboard actualy cost less than fretboard woods. If you can make radius block I would like to

get 12 :D. Would you recomend some pick ups for my build, I need good 80s heavy pick ups, I tought that EMGs Hz4

would fit but you have played lot longer so you know better.

Maybe next build B) What would I exactly need to make one. I haven really think about making my own fretboard

before becoase pre made fretboard actualy cost less than fretboard woods. If you can make radius block I would like to

get 12 :D. Would you recomend some pick ups for my build, I need good 80s heavy pick ups, I tought that EMGs Hz4

would fit but you have played lot longer so you know better.

You would need a radius block obviosly and a fret saw and thats basically it send me a message when you get close to building one and i'll help you out a it

As for wood if you make a maple fretboard this one would be easy and just use a scrap slab thats basically what I do, or you could just buy a board foot (don't know what measurments are in finland for that sorry B) ) and you have enough wood for several fretboards

For pickups I would choose a Dimarzio super distortion, a friend of mine put one it a dean vendetta and I like the tone out of that. Isn't the HZ4 what Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom uses in his ESP? I pick out pickups for modern metal not 80s music :D So I duess I don't really know what bands tone you are trying to imitate I Like Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio best for pretty much anything for bass and six string, I have never played with EMG's before so can't help you there.

I play Ozzy Osbourne, black sabbath and some other older bands music. I tought that HZ4 might fit becoase Randy Rhoads stuff is mostly modern style.

I looked those dimarzios and only problem with them would be that I would have to order them from germany so cost would be around 100 euros.

Do you know what pick ups jackson uses at RRs?

it depends on the model you buy.........

For Sabbath type crunchiness , try some "guitarheads" hex-buckers. $40 a PAIR .......

www.guitarheads.net . I think they have sound clips up to let you hear the differences in pups. The "Megametals" sound Brootals too.

Hex--buckers souded really good and proze wasent bad. Have you ever ordered from there, Is it reliable site.

Yes, very reliable. The owner is a friend of a friend and since I first tried 'em back in '05 , I've used dozens of sets of his pickups. The wood-topped 'buckers sound sweet too.

I just put a pair of the hexbuckers in my "Sam n Ellas" guitar .

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ic=42894&hl

Nice, punchy, harmonic rich distortion , and they clean up real nice with just a roll of the volume knob.

• 2 weeks later...