Thicknessing?

I was wondering what is the easiest way to thickness a body without a planer? Safety planer for drill press, router, hand planes? I've never used the safety planer before, but it sure does look like a handy device. I definitely plan on buying a planer sometime down the road, my buddy has a planer but we don't have the same days off and work at different times so it could be a pain to get together just to exchange the wood.

i'm in the same position as you.

I tried building a router sled assembly using aluminum L bars and found it next to useless.

I'd say safe-t-planer all the way. For thicknessing it's really quick - you just have to take shallow passes, and clamp a flat piece of MDF or similar to your drill press to make a bigger table.

i'm in the same position as you.

I tried building a router sled assembly using aluminum L bars and found it next to useless.

I'd say safe-t-planer all the way. For thicknessing it's really quick - you just have to take shallow passes, and clamp a flat piece of MDF or similar to your drill press to make a bigger table.

Ditto safety planer. Just make a fence and don't force the work.

:D

can i ask what went wrong with your sled? i have been thinking of building one.

almost certainly my own failings in constructing it, but I find it impossible to move the router with any fluidity - I can either move it forward/backward (so the sled moves along the rails) or side to side (router moves along the sled) but never both at the same time.

I also find it very difficult - and again this is probably user error - to get all four corners of the rails the exact same height so that the router gets a uniform thickness on the work piece.

I built a similar sled, but just use it over a malamine board on either side. I get great results from this. I use it for flattening warped stuff or for thicknessing stuff that chips too bad in the planer.

And I don't try to move it both ways at once. I position the router, make a pass with the sled, reposition the router, make another pass, and so on. Otherwise it would bind. I'd like to make a more permanent version with some linear slides or something, but i don't know if I use it enough to warrant that....

100_2735Medium.jpg

my current one is made from some steel, needs regular oiling on the rails but certainly never bends... i have the router sled longer than the rails so i can move it in any direction - some stops on the end to prevent me going to far