Guitarnut - Evh Wolfgang Build

I sprayed some tinted sealer on the back and sides ti give myself a leveling stage before color.

fin13.jpg

All snaded back and level. I sanded thru in a few spots but I'm not concerened...the color will be sprayed in the same sealer.

fin14.jpg

fin15.jpg

Since I'll be spraying a dark brown, I masked off all the openings in the front to keep over-spray off the top.

fin16.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished spraying the color coats last night. It's a bit darker brown than I wanted but it works nicely with the burst. The pigments darken a bit when they dry...sort of like painting a wall and the color on the wall doesn't look like the paint sample until it dries.

This one's ready for clear coats.

fin17.jpg

fin18.jpg

fin19.jpg

fin20.jpg

Peace,

Mark

Just a quick update. I have all the clear coats sprayed. I've been very happy with the way the EmTech water based lavquer lays down...just beautifil. It sprays like nitro, flows out smoothly, and cures very quickly. Of course, I've added a bit of help in the curing dept.

I hang the guitars in my studio closet and I've placed a small space heater ( no extention cords involved...keeping it safe) in there with them...it keeps the room at about 100 degrees F. That coupled with the dry air indoors from the A/C really help the spraying schedule.

I spray 2 double coats, place them in the hot room for an hour, spray 2 more and so on. It's been great. And when they come out of the room for another few coats, they're quite warm and the coats flash very quickly...allowing the double coat process to go very quick without fear of sags or runs.

This will also allow me to speed up the cure time...normally fully cured in 100 hours. I used this hot room on my $210 Challenge entry and buffed it out the next day...only 20 hours after the final coats were sprayed.

all07.jpg

Now I just need to wait a few days for "baking" and they will all be ready for buffing.

I got started on buffing this morning. I started with 1000 grit, then 2000 grit wet sanding. Then buffed with fine ColorTone compound. I switched from my small buffer to a foam pad. It worked beautifully. It took only seconds before I had a smooth mirror shine...something the small buffer took much longer to accomplish.

I was sanding/buffing 4 guitars this morning, so this is only to fine compound. I need to make a pass with swirl remover and then hand polish.

fin21.jpg

fin22.jpg

Peace,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Excellant build, just been reading through it at work. Not sure if ive missed it but how deep are your pickup routes? Ive got a wolfgang kit here and the routes look very shalllow. Dont want to finish then find out i have to deepen them

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob Thanks!

I think the PU routes are shallow on purpose. Since the PUs mount directly to the wood with no adjustment, there isn't the need for the extra depth. I've seen an interview with EVH where he states that the routes were cut to just the right depth to place the PUs at just the right height. I guess this works for him but "just the right height" is subjective. And your kit may be different.

Mine are 3/4" deep. I need to shim them to get them a bit higher. But I'd rather have the option than be stuck at a single height. I would bolt up the neck and lay a straight edge on it and out over the bridge area with a PU in place...see what kind of clearance you have. Don't forget to allow for string height above the frets.

Peace,

Mark