Highline Pickups

pbcguitars

At the website he will be posting sound clips soon (according to his blog), I would let your ears decide if it's spam or not when they are up. I'll try to post a link when they become available. I really have no idea how they sound, but I was thinking about getting some.

it doesnt really matter if its a legit company this was a unsolicited advertisement.

if some one had posted something like "help me find good pickups" then it would have been legit for him to post but just a blaten ad really not the place theres a section in the forum for that.

Whats a guy from new zealand talking in euros for? Being half new zealander myself, that's the weirdest accent in your typing ever..."theses" is certainly beinag added to my vocab, I think you might start a trend there!

According to the web site, these pickups are not even on sale yet, the whole "company"...see pick below...

hot_humbuckers.jpg

hasn't even got any 'product' as yet but claim lots of meaningless stuff...

That's not surprising for pickup makers...but look at the 'tools and components'...these are completely stock standard HB parts that everyone uses...but a multimeter is not enough to test anything but resistance.

Yet the usual claims like the OP here about more 'tone and power'...but there is not even attempt to 'innovate' or show anything that might make these better than a SD or an EMG that have put in heaps of research and testing and magnet types...even better hype guys...but at least these more established guys have a proven track record and the products and what they do is well known.

Comparing anything to duncans or EMG's are just silly...hugely different pickup systems, one passive the other active and both innovative with a wide range of products.

but a little research, I assume you are 'paul' from new newzealand via sweden...

paul from new swedenland

and ordered some 'super distortions' from the guy...

second customer it seems...but really, super distortions were the first of the over powered replacements that started a lot of the custom pickup trend in the 70's, things have come a long way since then...over wound and muddy and now relatively obsolete in the face of other options...and you ordered unseen a cheaper copy...

but, you may well be 'real'...if so, great, glad you are happy with them, but there is nothing in your posts that tell any more than the blurb, in fact conspicuously less, or any sign that you'd know a good pickup from a bad one...of course these choices are personal.

I don't know if its the audio or amp or recording...but to my ears they sound like trebly buzzy and irritating in tone...this might be the desired quality, but that video doesn't show any particularly good tone.

the maker claims that most young players wouldn't know a PAF tone if they heard it, so there is no point aiming for that. But really, the major manufacturers don't base their PAF pickups on the bad ones, there is some crazy hype in that block that some PAF's were bad...of course they were, SD based his JB pickups on the great ones he heard in Jeff becks Les Paul...even his hyper site wouldn't go so low as to put their customers and products down so far as to say they wouldn't know the difference...in short, they wouldn't know a good tone form a bad one.

But hey, maybe the old bee in a jam tin tone from the 70's is coming back in style...good on you!

I just picked up on that reference to a guy called "fredric lythom from sweden, an accomplished builder". Of cause I don't have knowledge of every single builder here in Sweden, but I can assure you all that fredric lythom is a complete unknown name to me. So i tried google the guy. No results. I even changed to the more likely Fredrik Lythom (like a Swede would spell Fredrik) and no results. Did he just pick a random name and a random country far away from NZ? I'm not trying to slam the original poster. Just thought I should chip in as I have a bit of local knowledge and know a few of the guys active here in Sweden. The only pro guitar building "Paul" I know of here in Sweden is an English guy called Guy...

It's true! His name is Paul Guy.

If you go into details about the Highline HBs he claims to make a hot version with AWG44 wire ending up at 13 K DCR (DC Resistance). This makes me highly suspicious about the knowledge of the winder.My high output ´HB using AWG43 wire (thicker than 44 -> lower DCR) is in the 15K range. This to me suggests that this guy use a thinner wire to boost DCR, but have no real understanding about the factors that creates output. And it's not DCR...

wow suspicous bunch arent u....

Call us suspicious if you want, but there are sooo many people out there that get a pickup kit from Stumac and call them self a pickup winder and pretend to be in business. I have been doing pickup winding as part of my custom guitar building for a 5-6 years now (building guitars for 15-20 years) and I know for a fact that it takes a bit more than that to make good sounding pickups that are consistent. Every single pickup sounding the same (if thats the goal of cause) that is. So thats were my skepticism is coming from. So if that is being suspicious... well than I'm glad to be a suspicious bastard :D

yeah dude he lives on gotland, and i no longer live on gotland, he went to school in brazil which was very hard to get into, i dont remember the name of who taught him, but its fair to call him accomplished.... he does not run a company, for a good reason which i am not discussing.

it pisses me off that u accuse me of lying.....

its not really fair to assume this is a marketing strategy, as i have nothing to do with chris's pickups, i just used them and liked them, so please dont say that this is a marketing strategy.... jesus cant it be acceptted, i just wanted to tell u about something i brought which i was satisfied with, like if you brought wood from stewmac and told someone it was nice grain...!! §$"§°!

it pisses me off that u accuse me of lying.....

I don't do that. Please read my post:

I'm not trying to slam the original poster. Just thought I should chip in as I have a bit of local knowledge and know a few of the guys active here in Sweden.

For someone that has nothing to do with those pickups you are certainly wery eager to make us aware of how good they are. I wish all my customers were such fans...

yes and for only one reason.... i built a guitar for someone, i dont have a name as far as a guitar builder goes, maybe people seek you out and are prepared to pay you well for your work, maybe you make a living from building, maybe you can wind your own pick ups, but for me i really wanted to builda guitar and then when i worked out the cost of it, i could not do it for the money and was quite down about it, then i picked some of these up for a good price, and was able to complete the project... i just thought there would be others in my shoes... maybe theres better winders making pups for the same or less money, i dont know i am new to building... and that ladies and gentlemen was the only purpose of this post which i regret posting now, was to help....

and thats all i have to say about vetnam

its not really fair to assume this is a marketing strategy, as i have nothing to do with chris's pickups, i just used them and liked them, so please dont say that this is a marketing strategy.... jesus cant it be acceptted, i just wanted to tell u about something i brought which i was satisfied with, like if you brought wood from stewmac and told someone it was nice grain...!! §$"§°!

Bad grammar really annoys me, if you do so happen to start ranting, please do so in a proper manner.

Look we get alot spammers that do just what you did. they come in here with some post out of left field and about some product that they have used. so you need to step back a moment and see it from the regular members point of view. guy has 2 post and is talking about how great these parts are mmmh looks like spam to me. Now if you are a legit guy just really enthused about his new picks let me just say i apologize and welcome to the forum.

I think one of the things that makes PG different from a lot of guitar fan sites is that it seeks to discuss real information, not just fan stuff.

By necessity, you describe this product, for which there does seem some kind of personal connection (these pickups are not yet in any kind of production and the builder of them new to pickup building) as great. Not great for the price, but greater than some of the most renown and coveted but very different products out there like 'duncans n EMGs'.

At PG, people expect more than this, especially if recommending a product than I bought them, I like them...

Why do you like them

Why do you consider them better than others

How did you find this pickup maker (especially since he is not yet in production)

Many of us would like to know what makes these pickups technically better than others just like them. There is nothing to suggest to me that they are "better" technically than any hand wound versions that people could wind but hype and naive hype...in my opinion.

Perhaps the reason PG stays off 'fanboy' or spam or scam advertising of products is that they expect more than other sites. If products are to be recommended, there is an expectation that this recommendation or big claims be backed up by some kind of understandable information that others can make a judgment on.

The sound in the clip for instance is the classic buzzy trebly 'bee in a jam tin' sound...many will ahve heard this expression and understand from it what that means. If not, listen to your clip. As I say, if maybe the recording or the amp (no details are given) or indeed you may have sought out that sound...

More likely, and as is often the case, we all tend to try and find something desirable in what we buy, especially with something we have a big personal investment in. This is particularly true with guitars and especially those we build.

The story changes from the initial post of these are better than 'duncans n EMG's' to...

i built a guitar for someone, i dont have a name as far as a guitar builder goes ... but for me i really wanted to builda guitar and then when i worked out the cost of it, i could not do it for the money and was quite down about it, then i picked some of these up for a good price, and was able to complete the project... i just thought there would be others in my shoes... maybe theres better winders making pups for the same or less money, i dont know i am new to building...

But you see...you put out there that you were experienced in a range of pickups, your sign on name implies you are some kind of builder or aspire to be one. But you built a guitar and didn't realize how much it would cost (yep, that's what we have all found)...and you got these for a cheap price.

Now that's very different from being better than 'duncans n EMGs' isn't it? You found some good cheap pickups, the guy who built them for you helped with "the design' and the guy who is playing the guitar in the clips "helped you with the trickier parts'. This does sound like someone that has built a guitar for the first time and suddenly thinks he is a luthier with the experience and knowledge to make broad judgment calls on the quality of some "cheap pickups" in comparison to 'benchmark' products in the industry.

Anyway, it looks like a nice playing guitar and you are happy with the tone, great...but PG does have a tendency to self-regulate against everyone who has bought a product or help a mate by making broad ill informed advertising for them. We have seen it time and again.

Perhaps a better approach, even now, would be to say why these things are superior for you. But in the end, it does look like you were helped out with building your guitar, you bought some pickups off a guy that has himself just started making them, and you just thought you'd help out a mate with a little advertising...that's not unbiased helping people who might buy these things thinking they will get superior products cheap.

With a little more research, I see that there are two pcb guitars...one is the guy Bunker who ghost built USA Ibanezs...the other "pbcguitars" is a scam redirection site it seems....

http://pbcguitars.com/

This "site" will show a picture of a girl and the options to choose all kinds of music related links, but when you click them, you just get more and more google adds come up...there is no pbcgutars!

However, there is the brand PBC Guitars, it's even on the headstock of the things...clearly not yours.

Now, I'd be thinking carefully about changing your guitar building name if you were thinking of building more guitars for others (although I was under the impression you built this for yourself, but never mind). One because you are encroaching on a USA builder of some renown who might not take kindly to that, or two you will be associated with a blatant scam-spam site to lead people astray for profit in endless google ads. Neither would forward your reputation, and neither will threads like this that smack of much the same thing.

Just something you should seriously consider...especially if going to be copying ibanez guitars like the JEM for which the PCB and bunker built guitars have something of a reputation. Wouldn't want someone bying one of your guitars off of eBay say and thinking the were getting a real PCB Ibanez instead of a first time builder's (with help) instrument with cheap pickups instead and paying more for the PCB name.

But you see...as others have said, PG and the net in general is full of scammers and spammers or people who don't do a google search on their own name before they pass themselves off as a guitar builder...like with a name like pcbguitars. Just eh spam site should ahve been enough for you to avoid using such a name....unless...

Well.. I´m only posting this because my name was mentioned here on this thread. My name is Fredric Lytholm. And yes, i do exist. :D And yes I am a guitar maker. In 2001 I passed the apprentice exam in acoustic guitar making at Carl Malmsten school in Stockholm.

I was in no way involved in planning / choice of hardware/ pickups. It´s Paul´s build. He did all the work him self. I only showed him how I do things.

.Pauls original post was ill formulated. Should´ve been a lot more on why he liked them etc.

Paul is a "newbie" and a very eager to get started.

The pups are overwound and highgain, and very aggressive in the treble. Not for everyone. All I can say is that they sound ok and performed well when I recorded with the guitar.

How many guitars do you have to build before you can call yourself a " luthier"?

I don´t know.

I´ve tried very hard to stay clear off discussions like that.

Because there is as many answers as people calling themselves luthiers.

Fredric Lytholm

Thanks for the reply Fredric

That was the assumption I think, but really choices of pickups are very personal and blanket statements like they are unqualifiably better than something else is bad publicity for all concerned, especially the OP. These kinds of comments always bring about suspicion and questions about validating the claims.

Similarly the builder of the pickups seems to be afflicted with this same thing...I got some bobbins and magnets and wound some pickups...and sound came out! Really, as SL was suggesting and most know, it takes years to really get a handle on designing and predicting pickup qualities, not just that they work. The ambitions of the maker seem very much to be in there infancy and is displayed in the hype without substance blogs that I read.

The suggestion by the OP was that he made the guitar for someone else...he also uses a well know name associated with Ibanez copies and in looking it up, you get a scam site as an alternative. All these things really should be considered I think, even by newbies before they start putting themselves out as guitar builders and naming themselves as such. It's worth a simple google check just to be sure a tleast...my name in Australia is synonymous with "primary school wear" as it turns out and so the initials seem to be pretty well known to jus about any parent...ahhaha!