Wood Filler?

The project base I'm working on has a stripped screw hole on the pickplate mounting hole right by the output jack. The previous victi.. owner used a larger screw which doesn't seem to want to grip the wood either.

Can I put a bit of wood filler or something similar in the whole and put the screw into it? I would hate to worse the problem with a larger yet screw. The lack of the screw there puts some stress on the pick plate when you pull the plug. I'm sure it will eventually weaken.

The project base I'm working on has a stripped screw hole on the pickplate mounting hole right by the output jack. The previous victi.. owner used a larger screw which doesn't seem to want to grip the wood either.

Can I put a bit of wood filler or something similar in the whole and put the screw into it? I would hate to worse the problem with a larger yet screw. The lack of the screw there puts some stress on the pick plate when you pull the plug. I'm sure it will eventually weaken.

Glue a dowel into the hole and screw into that.

SR

Glue a dowel into the hole and screw into that.

That is the usual way of repairing screw holes. You might have some trouble not damaging the finish though.

Woodfiller / repair putty might work, but it depends on the putty how much stress it can take. They usualy state on the packaging that it is stronger than wood, but sometimes the stuff is a bit brittle and doesnt take screws very elegantly. So if you go for that option, try some scrap wood first. Getting a clean looking repair might also be quite difficult.

Another option that came to my mind.. and I dont know the proper English term for it (not a native speaker here).. but they have these metal screw 'sockets' with wire on both the inside and outside. Basicly, you screw / insert the socket in the old screwhole, and the result is a new screw 'shaft' with the right size. Kinda like the sockets you put tune-o-matic mounting screws in?

The difficulty lies in getting the right lenght, gauge and wire 'pattern'. Also, if you screw it up (pun intended) it's quite difficult to remove / repair, so I'd only try something like that as a last option.

Seems like a dowel might be the best idea still. Could you maybe post a pic or two?

Scott - its only a screw hole - maybe a toothpick / bamboo skewer ?? lol or , listen to Scott and just use a reeaaallly small dowel. :D

Ohyeah, that is also an option. Glue in a toothpick (as much as neccesary) and screw in again. But it quite depends on the size of the screw, and how clean you want your repair to be.

Scott - its only a screw hole - maybe a toothpick / bamboo skewer ?? lol or , listen to Scott and just use a reeaaallly small dowel. :D

What? B)

You want a tight fit don't you? You just taper the tip and pound it in with a mallet. :D

Just kidding! I've used toothpicks and match sticks, but they are a bit soft. I've found hardwood dowels down to 1/8th in. at Lowes. Glue it in, drill a new pilot hole, and it's good to go.

SR