Semi Hollow "raven"

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exotic in Burlington had a whack of "5A" from PRS; is that where you went?

Yep thats where the tops from. but this set and a couple more have been put away or hidden from everyone. I forget his name but the guy with the goat T and long hair in a pony tale, that builds acoustics hides it for people like me and you Grant. He hates to see it go to people that don't build nice basses or guitars out of it.

oh and all the really good set's are gone now. just 2A and 3A left. but if you want I know there was about 4 or 5 more 5A sets left in the guitar room locked up in the cabinet.

• 4 weeks later...

That is one Hot Mess... looks like you roughed that top out with a chainsaw....

Jeez Dave did you drag it behind the bike for a few miles.

How thin is the top on each side?

Is it going to be solid in the middle?

Why do I have to ask these questions in the build thread?

The control plate fits nice. The thing you grafted on the side seems to blend in well ( ... thought I didn't see that)

With all due respect I am also upset about the fact you cheba monkeys can walk in somewhere and buy 5 A tops... (no offense Fuzz .. I said with all due respect)

The control plate fits nice. The thing you grafted on the side seems to blend in well ( ... thought I didn't see that)

With all due respect I am also upset about the fact you cheba monkeys can walk in somewhere and buy 5 A tops... (no offense Fuzz .. I said with all due respect)

Licking my wounds :D

It's not even a rough carve yet I just started it, but I might try the bike thing in the future.

Yes It is going to be solid in the middle, despite the some channels I have to cut.

I knew you would see the graft, the Sipo was not wide enough for the wings when I decided to taper the neck thru with the fingerboard.

It's all good.

I knew you would see the graft, the Sipo was not wide enough for the wings when I decided to taper the neck thru with the fingerboard.

It's all good.

That full taper has gotten me before as well.

from office space

"I must've put a decimal point in the wrong place or something. $h!t, I always do that. I always mess up some mundane detail."

I personally think you need to re-think your carve style man. It's just not "smooth." It was the same thing I said about the first raven. Now I'm not saying you have to do a full archtop bell carve. PRS gets away with doing a flat center... but they've figured out how it works with their shape. You still need to do this. Currently (and on the last raven) it looks too unfinished.

Chris

Licking my wounds :D

It's not even a rough carve yet I just started it, but I might try the bike thing in the future.

Yes It is going to be solid in the middle, despite the some channels I have to cut.

It's all good.

I personally think you need to re-think your carve style man. It's just not "smooth." It was the same thing I said about the first raven. Now I'm not saying you have to do a full archtop bell carve. PRS gets away with doing a flat center... but they've figured out how it works with their shape. You still need to do this. Currently (and on the last raven) it looks too unfinished.

Chris

Like I stated above it's not even a rough carve yet. I planed the neck angle and put about 20 minutes of work on the top. I haven't even touched the horns yet.

As for the first Raven's carve I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about it, and in the short time it's been at it's new home in a working studio it's worked hard. It's been used on 6 albums so far and used by close to 50 players and all of them loved the carve. So I guess it's to each his own.

Cheers

This is comin along nicly. like the neck, but I have to agree with the comment about the good quality maple you canadians get, just not fair. If it wasent for Terance & Philip I think Id just have to hate you all :D

Don't be hatin the Canadians just because we have the most natural resources in the world.

Terrence and Phillip should have there own show.

This is comin along nicly. like the neck, but I have to agree with the comment about the good quality maple you canadians get, just not fair. If it wasent for Terance & Philip I think Id just have to hate you all :D

Don't be hatin the Canadians just because we have the most natural resources in the world.

Terrence and Phillip should have there own show.

Yea man. Terrence & Philip rock :D

But im right about the maple. You Canadians get AAAAA flamed & quilted maple like we Irish get rain & dodgy boy bands.

I mean look, I got some timber the weekend, I got 2.5x18 inch sapele 45 foot long (3 15 foot boards) & it cost less than 0.5x7 inch 6 foot long of AAAA(maby) quilted maple.

Shitty. Good thing I didn't move home after all.

yea, kinda sucks materials wise here sometimes. On the plus side i found a few hundred board feet of spalted beech, some flamed & quilted aswell. Just gotta store it up to dry it for a year id say.

Don't take it personally man. You know I enjoy your builds. I'm just saying that there's room for improvement which we should all strive for. Take it as constructive critism. Also, I knew it was rough, but I can see it going the same way as the previous raven's carve.

Chris

Shitty. Good thing I didn't move home after all.

yea, kinda sucks materials wise here sometimes. On the plus side i found a few hundred board feet of spalted beech, some flamed & quilted aswell. Just gotta store it up to dry it for a year id say.

If the economy was better over there I would head home, but seeing it's in the crapper no point to it. Canada's economy is doing very good still, there wasn't much a problem here if you ask me.

but I talk to my family back home every 2 weeks or so to get the heads up.