Semi Hollow "raven"

Well with the First Raven built and sold and the Orca in finishing and the tortoise lying in waits for pickups and parts. time to start a new project.

This one is going to be a Raven Design but a neck through, semi hollow body. It's going to have a different raven inlay then the first.

Specs: Multiscale 6 string 27.5 - 25.5

Body - Figured Sipo

Neck - Lacewood / Sipo Laminated

Top - 5 A Quilted Maple

Fingerboard will be bound with Lacewood.

Body will be bound with lacewood as well.

Hardware:

Chrome ABM single bridges

Chrome locking tuners

That's all I know for now. Here's a quick mockup. It's now going to be a double cutaway.

DoublecutRavencolourmockup2.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the inlay on the board. Get yourself on here http://www.williamlaskin.com/ to see how to make big inlays realy work well.

You gona do a multi laminate neck ? would look coooooooooool :D

I posted it as being a LAminated neck, but I'm changing the layout. it's going to be Lacewood with Sipo laminated.

Sorry. My mistake. I meant a 5 or 7 piece laminate. you know. Lotsa detail goin on.

I think the feathers would look cool, maby make them up & just place them on the board for a visual to help make up your mind. But the fanned board might be enough so you may be right to ditch them. Never realy know untill you realy get into the build.

I like the inlay on the board. Get yourself on here http://www.williamlaskin.com/ to see how to make big inlays realy work well.

You gona do a multi laminate neck ? would look coooooooooool :D

I posted it as being a LAminated neck, but I'm changing the layout. it's going to be Lacewood with Sipo laminated.

Sorry. My mistake. I meant a 5 or 7 piece laminate. you know. Lotsa detail goin on.

I think the feathers would look cool, maby make them up & just place them on the board for a visual to help make up your mind. But the fanned board might be enough so you may be right to ditch them. Never realy know untill you realy get into the build.

tell yeah what I'll add them into the mockup so you tell me what you think. it's a 7 piece laminate neck.

Ok here's the progress so far.

The Quilted Maple top. still need to joint and glue it.

IMG_1262.jpg

Here's the body wings still need to bookmatch and plan.

IMG_1264.jpg

Here's the Gabon Ebony finger board, with some wicked figure.

IMG_1263.jpg

And piece de resistance, the 7 piece laminated neck Lacewood and Sipo.

IMG_1265.jpg

Cheers more to come tomorrow.

lookin good dave. This this is gonna be grain-tastic when its finished. The sipo looks freaky cool.

& while your on the subject of templates. That vine template I got from you worked realy well. A Little bit of fine tuning on the board after the mini router/template part & that was it. All prety much done in less than an hour. Just gotta finish sand the board now.

Sweet, good to hear Paul. now I need to try that myself. I'm cutting out the feather template today so I can try doing it on the f-hole. I hope it works.

Chris you know I make custom Templates for people if they want. a small price depending on what it is. just need an AI file.

F Holes freak me out a little. I can never decide if I should cut them before or after I carve the top.

Then once they are done I always want to bind them, but once they are bound i hate it & rip it all back out :D

I used a dremil with a tiny slot cuttin bit on the ones you sent me. Worked a treat. :D

Well I was thinking of doing it after the carve. I will cut the body out to rough shape, then do a small chamber the reverse of the body in the top. Then use my small thumb plane to do the reverse carve in the under side of the top around the F-hole.

At this point I will then do my rough carve and then cut the f-hole out. If I do it this way I can use my coping saw to do the main part of the f-hole and then a dremel to touch it up.

Then glue to body and route to final shape.

So I hope to get some work done on this build this weekend. I plan on getting the neck angle done and the scarf joint done as well. then I can lay out the design on the body wings and cut them out and route the chambers in them and cavity cover as well.

It's going to be tough to find the time between the build and MotoGP practice's Quallie and race's to eat sleep and drink.

What's a guy to do.

It's going to be tough to find the time between the build and MotoGP practice's Quallie and race's to eat sleep and drink.

What's a guy to do.

All at the same time man. its easy. I glued on a fret board whilst eatin a steak dinner, asleep, havin a bulmers, lappin gits at the track on my 748R. All at the same time I was watchin a spongebob marathon on nickelodeon. :D

Where do you get all your wood from? All that figure is just amazing

And am I crazy or did you change your username? I ask because I haven't here in a little while....were you PRS Tait?

I have a great supplier that specializes in Exotic woods. They just bought a wack load of stock off of PRS because PRS are in a little trouble from what I hear.

NO your not Crazy, I had Brian change my username just a couple days ago.

I should add that in my Signature. Formally known as PRS_Tait