Would You Pay $49 For A Vintage Ri 5-way Switch

DivebombInc

Okay, I've been working on this deal with the manufacturer for 5-way switches that are accurate to the real Frankenstein and also can be used in restoration projects and/or aged new builds.

My costs are coming back making it cost prohibitive. I’ll have to sell them at $49 to make any kind of margin making it worth my time and investment. Considering the broad range of applications for this switch and the accurate vintage specs do you think this is something I should pursue?

It will look like this minus the solder of course.

5-wayRI.jpg

yeah i would have a hard time paying that much for a switch. since you never really see the switch any way. but there are guys out there that will pay what i consider stupid prices for parts.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...er+the+pond+guy

this guy was selling pickup rings for a couple of hundred bucks i miss that crazy clown.

theres a few others look up caps for guitar i have see them for 50 and 60 bucks for a capacitor i just cant bring my self to pay that kind of money.

Considering the broad range of applications for this switch and the accurate vintage specs do you think this is something I should pursue?

I'd pay more for a 5-way switch with enclosed contacts to keep out the dirt

than I'd pay for something with perceived historical accuracy.

After fitting, who is going to see it?

Not me, unless it fails...

possibly not the best place to ask

but i could imagine something truly accurate and ever so slightly aged easily fetching that money

OTPG pickup rings may be pushing it to the upper limit - but $50 is a low enough investment to seem reasonable if you are rich enough to afford a real,or even accurate replica of a early strat.

why not ask some of the shops selling relic guitar parts if they think it is sellable and would they stock it.

The only way that you would win on that idea is to make a LOT of them and know that you have buyers that will take them off of your hands for more than it cost you to have them made. Your profit margin would be small, and you would make money by selling in quantity. That's how it is on stuff like that.

I personally don't think anyone would pay $49 for a pickup switch that they can get for $8 at the local Guitar Center. I'm sure you could sell a few of them to people who want to burn some money. I could see maybe $15-20 for a "historically accurate" switch, but any more than that is really pushing it, IMO.

Edited by Paul Marossy