Marshall Mg 100 hdfx

Otter

About a year ago I bought the Marshall Mg 100 hdfx half stack (it came out new last year), it's not got any valves and just hasn't got any balls what so ever. I have read a few of reviews on the web on it and there all pretty good and some excelent, but I just can't get along with it, Oh and for some reason if you use the normal input the signal isn't strong enough to use live, so I have resorted to plugging in to the effects return in the back. I have tried several guitars with this amp both humbuckers and single coil and both arn't acceptable for a £500 amp. What are Marshall playing at?

Has anybody else come across this problem or experienced this half harted attempt at an amplifier?

i have the model before that.... the MG100, you really need to use emg's or other high ouput pickups for that amp to start sounding remotely good, right now i use it as a slave to my other amps cause it has quite a bit of bass, but the internal distorion is the pits IMO,

I've got probably the worst guitar to use then, because my main guitar (which sounds fantastic) is a Fender Strat with all sing coil pickups.

I don't know if the previous model (amp) has effects on it (big gimmick) but becuse I have an ever growing home studio I have been running things through it, using it as an effects processor. The bass is good but pittifull compared to the jcm 2000. I have just finnished doing my second tour in a Jimi Hendrix tribute band and while I'm on tour I use the Marshall Jcm 2000, which is packed full of valves, tone, power and life and then when I come back to home I have to use the mg 100.

I might just start micing up some earphones that'll probably be louder and sound better. :D - Ben

• 2 months later...

My solution to the problem now is to put the jack lead staight into the fx return on the back of the head, this way (for some reason I have yet to sus) is the right volume and tone that the ampshould be. The only down side is that you cant alter the tone, but if your usin pedals it doesn't matter too much.

I dont understand what Marshall were playing at when they released this line of amps, but above is a good solution.

Ben

send me a schematic for it and i can mod the scheme to give it some life if you wish..

ive got the MG15DFX and for what it is and how much i paid for it (£110) i think its a billiant beginner amp.

ill agree that the distortion on it is pretty crap but then thats what i have my jack hammer for now :D

i think that im just gonna build any more amps i want in future lol

send me a schematic for it and i can mod the scheme to give it some life if you wish..

Sounds a good idea, but I don't know how to do that. :D