Angled humbuckers.

ok ive made threads about my washburn wonderbar, now for the next stage of my project. Ive decided on a single angled humbucker pickup in the bridge. If the humbucker was angled would the poles peices on the humbucker completely miss the strings? the wonderbar is gibson spaced and the nut will be gibson width, so would i need a special gibson spaced pickup ?

Also i need help on what pickups are available that would suit this confgiuration. money is no object really. I freely welcome any suggestions, i would like to play out and out shred metal. cheers.

rob

Why do you want to angle the pickup?

I believe the original reason for angling a bridge humbucker was to try and get the magnetic field of a Gibson-width humbucker to spread out a bit more to cover Fender/Floyd-width string spacing. With a Gibson-spaced bridge, your pole pieces should line up perfectly, so there's no need to angle the pickup, unless you wanted to tweak the treble or bass response a bit.

Im trying to recreate a bastardisation of 80's shredmachines on a 60's musiclander body. so i wanted to make the pickup angled.

So what sort of pickup should i go for if i wanted to angle it ? the bridge itself is gibson spaced. should i go for a gibson spaced pickup? what examples are there of gibson spaced pickups? or are they usually gibson spaced anyway ? :S

gibson spaced humbuckers are usualy refered to as "standard" spacing, and "F-spaced" pickups are intended for guitars with floyds, fenderstyle or hipshot style bridge where the string spread is a tad wider(52mm i think)

Both are available at no extra charge where ever you buy pickups.

You may want to look into pickups with 2 solide blades instead of 12 polepeices, such as the Dimarzio X2N, the multibucker, or the drop sonic. or the Duncan dimebucker.

If you want to shread Metal, look at the EMG range. They are the *BEST* metal pickup ever and im pretty sure that the one they developed for Dino from Fear Factory (a 7 string active) would suffice.

A friend who biulds guitars once told me that Bridge Pickups are placed at an angle to improve bass response in the pickup. I only ever saw this configuration used on Kramer guitars.

if you want "out and out shred metal" definately an emg 81 or 85...the 85 has more bass but the 81 has a greater attack.i prefer the 81s attack because,to me,that is more important than bass.bass is really not as needed as people would have you believe for metal.

that 7 string (707)was modeled after the 85,so if you like that sound,use the 85

but i wouldn't angle it...not for metal.this will bring the outside strings into a weaker magnetic field.

Guest AlexVDL

The modern Gibson pickups are all f-spaced.. dunno why, but it is. Only the classic 57 pickups and the neck pickups are normal spaced. The 57 plus, 500T, 498T etc (bridge pups) are all f-spaced.

:D

but i wouldn't angle it...not for metal.this will bring the outside strings into a weaker magnetic field.

Really? i would have thought that because the string is inbetween pole peices when a humbucker is angled, whenever theres string bends, it would accent the harmonics of the pickup and wouldnt effect the sustain of normal fretting? or am i wrong here?

• 1 year later...

i have a somewhat related question....my B.C. Rich has an angled bridge humbucker and no neck pickup, and i've noticed that while the guitar on the whole sounds killer, the 6th string is a little bit on the loose side for fast palm-muting, and the treble strings are a little brighter/harsher than i like for sweeping. since the location of a pickup relative to the center of the vibrating length of the string will affect the treble/bass balance, i'm curious what a reverse-angled bridge pickup would sound like....maybe make the treble strings a little bit smoother, and the bass strings slightly tighter?

Here's some of my thoughts on some of these comments and suggestions...

i'm curious what a reverse-angled bridge pickup would sound like....

Some say that is yet another reason Hendrix always chose to play righthanded strats, upsidedown (besides looking way cool!), by doing this you do get a reversed bridge pickup if you like...it's up to debate if this is in fact a good thing but there have been strats made with reverse pickups to emulate the Hendrix effect...

Really? i would have thought that because the string is inbetween pole peices when a humbucker is angled, whenever theres string bends, it would accent the harmonics of the pickup and wouldnt effect the sustain of normal fretting? or am i wrong here?

I think that if you got a F spaced pickup and angled it you could get it so that ther is a pickup pole just to one side of each string and one just to the other side of the string on the other coil if you know what I mean...err 12 poles one each side of each 12 strings...

I believe the original reason for angling a bridge humbucker was to try and get the magnetic field of a Gibson-width humbucker to spread out a bit more to cover Fender/Floyd-width string spacing.

I believe this is why Eddie Van Halen did it on the Frankenstien/Kramer but by using the gibson spaced pickup on a F-spaced string spacing the outside strings are only covered by one pole...you could get the opposite effect with the wider coil I believe.

The modern Gibson pickups are all f-spaced.. dunno why, but it is

That's pretty wierd if they haven't changed their narrower bridges...why would they do that?

With a Gibson-spaced bridge, your pole pieces should line up perfectly, so there's no need to angle the pickup

Quite right, there is no need to angle the pickup...but then if you're going for the trashed EVH look...then why not

have fun... :D