8 String Tribute Build(s)

Been thinking about doing this for quite some time now. I have a couple 8 string necks ready to go, so I may do two. I have all the layout & 3d modeling finished, so the hard part is done. I'll rough these out on the CNC, then do the detail carving by hand. Here are the specs:

Alder Body

27 1/2" scale B/O Maple Neck w/ no inlay

EMG 808

One Volume Pot

Black Hardware

Single String Bridges

The white areas will have a photoluminescent pigment added to the clear. In regular daylight the pigment is invisible, in the dark it glows green. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get these into prduction.... Soon I hope.

skull1.jpg

Now this is the kind of stuff I want to see more of! Very cool idea. Id like to see it in a really "dirty" finish though, somewhere along the lines of your nuclear guitar, if you take my meaning. Without seeing the actual guitar I cant say for sure, but you run the risk of it looking cheesy if the finish is too clean IMO. But then, You are an artist Doug, Im sure you know exactly what you're doing.

Edited by MuffinPunch

It will definately look dirty...like it's been dug up. smiley-vault-character-066.gif I'm thinking after the detail carving is done, I'll paint the entire guitar white. Then paint it black, and wipe off the raised :bone" areas while the black is still wet. The technique will also require some sanding of the black. I am shooting for a more realistic, less "cartoony" look than this:

jfrog_skull_550.jpg

Sorry to post a "Roman" link :D

It will definately look dirty...like it's been dug up. smiley-vault-character-066.gif I'm thinking after the detail carving is done, I'll paint the entire guitar white. Then paint it black, and wipe off the raised :bone" areas while the black is still wet. The technique will also require some sanding of the black. I am shooting for a more realistic, less "cartoony" look than this:

jfrog_skull_550.jpg

Sorry to post a "Roman" link :D

Thank goodness for that! Yeah, your carve is way more appealing than that. Are you planning on doing a reverse banana style HS as well?

yeah, the roman ones are kinda pants. aim for more realistic bone tones and all will be good

i really like the way the carve looks do far and look foward to seeing it in wood

Ha Ha! I worked with an Ozzy who lived in UK for a couple of years. Were it not for him I would have absolutely no idea what you meant by "pants".

Are you planning on doing a reverse banana style HS as well?

The HS will be a 4X4. I thought about an 8 in line, but it would be a hocky stick :D

Good to see another build thread from you Doug, by the way, how did you do the skull emoticon???

Thanks...It has been a while I guess. :D I got the skull from this site: http://www.smileyvault.com/thumbnails.php?...mp;search=skull skull.gif