AutoCAD files?

I have an AutoCAD file that is supposed to be a plan for a Telecaster. The problem is that I know 100% nothing about AutoCAD and it will not run on my machine (350mhz running Win98). What I want to know is, in these 3d models, can I remove parts of the guitar (neck, pickguard, pickups) so that I can see the cavities? Can I get dimensions from this file. If so, how. If it is possible, I will go to a friends house and try it, otherwise, well this file is useless to me.

If it turns out to be useless, does anyone know where I can find plans for a Telecaster? I'm currently not a supporting member but if their are good plans with dimensions and all that stuff in the downloading section of this site, I will become a supporting member. I can't find on this site where it says whats in the download section.

Here is a link to the DXF file: http://www.guitarbuild.com/modules/mydownl...=titleA&show=10

5th file on the page.

Thanks,

joe

Well I was able to open the file "Able Graphic Manager" but I can only view it with that. I don't think I can edit anything. Thats why I know the neck and pickups and pickguard and control plate etc are there. But I can't move the model, so I don't know if its flat or if the thickness of the body is modeled.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself clearly.

Thanks,

joe

Four things:

1. Autocad will run fine on your machine....I used it on much slower machines already. Especially for simple drawings like guitars, etc. which are not that big your system is fast enough.

2. You can open Cad files with many shareware and freeware programs, you dont need to install AutoCad

3. I hate Telecasters....they are inferiour to the Strat in every way in my opinion.

Why do you think Leo Fender designed the Strat as an improved version of the Telecaster?:D No seriously I always wonder what reason speak for preferring a Tele over a Strat.

4. I looked at the file for you. It is only a 2d topview of a Telecaster. There are no dimensions for the depth of the cavities etc., it is very nicely drawn however.

HTH,

Marcel Knapp!

Four things:

1. Autocad will run fine on your machine....I used it on much slower machines already. Especially for simple drawings like guitars, etc. which are not that big your system is fast enough.

2. You can open Cad files with many shareware and freeware programs, you dont need to install AutoCad

3. I hate Telecasters....they are inferiour to the Strat in every way in my opinion.

Why do you think Leo Fender designed the Strat as an improved version of the Telecaster?:D No seriously I always wonder what reason speak for preferring a Tele over a Strat.

4. I looked at the file for you. It is only a 2d topview of a Telecaster. There are no dimensions for the depth of the cavities etc., it is very nicely drawn however.

HTH,

Marcel Knapp!

Thanks for your help! Do you know if their are any good plans in the download section?

So I guess this CAD file is not useful for me.

And to answer your Strat/Tele question, I already own a Strat and a JEM. So I decided for my third guitar, that I wanted to build my own. Two guitars I really like that I don't have already are Teles and Les Pauls. I figured since its my first guitar building experience, a Tele would be MUCH easier to build than a LP. LP dosen't have a bolt-on neck, and it has a carved top. Tele has a bolt on neck and a flat top. I'm going to be ordering the neck from Warmoth OR USACG (which one is best?), I just don't think I can pull off building my own neck.

Thanks,

joe

If youre building a guitar, build what you want. Ive always looked at it like this, theres no reason to build something cos its simple. Build something because you want to.

You could make a flat top bolt on Les Paul exactly the same way as the telecaster. It would be almost identical to build as the Tele except that you would make all the decisions about the finished article, such as woods, bridge, pickup, scale length,

You said you have a Strat and a Jem. Unless they are specifically built of outrageous woods, you will probably find them built of Maple or basswood or something of simular tone. The decision of woods is important to the final tone of the instrument. Unless youre a die hard fan of the fender twang, id suggest you go back a stage and decide what you want the guitar to do and sound like before you commit to a shape.

I DO want to build a Tele. I want one just as much as I want a LP :D. Sorry that was misunderstood. And If I were to build a LP, I would want it with a carved top and set neck and all that good stuff! B)

My JEM is made of Basswood and my Strat of Alder.

I already decided to build my Tele out of Ash...actually, whats the difference between Ash and Swamp Ash?

I also decided all my options:

Neck: Maple

Fretboard: Maple ($190 at USACG and $157 at Warmoth)

Body: Ash

Pickguard: White or black depending on finish I choose.

Pickups: Fender vintage tele pickups (129.99 for Originals and 174.99 for Texas)

Neckplate: Chrome (4 bolts)

Control plate: Chrome

Strap buttons: Chrome strap-lock type

String retainer: Chrome

String ferrules: Chrome

Knobs: Chrome

Jack socket: Chrome

Bridge: Traditional chrome stamped steel bridge w/ 3 old style threaded barrel saddles ($60 from Fender)

String nut: Bone

Tuners: Chrome (undecided if locking or not)

Switch: 4-way -- Neck, Bridge, Neck+Bridge(series), Neck+Bridge(parallel)

Finish: Blue sunburst or Butterscotch

Here are pictures of the two possible final products:

tele2.jpg

tele.jpg

I can't decide which of these two I like the best. Again with the simple/hard, the burst would be a lot more work and harder to doo and I don't think I can pull of a nice burst :D.

Who makes better necks, Warmoth or USACG?

Digideus Posted on Jan 3 2004, 04:50 PM

If youre building a guitar, build what you want. Ive always looked at it like this, theres no reason to build something cos its simple. Build something because you want to.

i agree, thats why im makin a 31 fret guitar :D

I recommend to buy your neck at USACG. This company is run bei Tommy who was a Warmoth employee for a long time. I think concerning the quality both companies should be the same, but the service and kind attitude Tommy has is outstanding and therefore I would buy from USACG.

Their is also a price difference though...although its only $33 US, that still makes like 45 CAD :D

I've ordered from Warmoth a few times and they've always been great. Very helpful and polite. USACG seems pretty decent although I've never tried them. They only use one-way truss rods in their guitars, just something to consider. With the AutoCAD file thing you'll probably need someone with AutoCAD to save it as a .DXF file to use it with another CAD program. .DWG is only AutoCAD, .DXF is "Drawing Exchange Format" When you do that it will probably screw up all the layers too. If you want to send me the file and tell me what you want I could probably get it for you. Let me know.

Kickz:

2d plans are probably better than 3d because when it comes to cutting the wood (if you've printed the plans 1:1 scale) you can just cut the paper out, glue it to the top of your wood and cut round it (well thats what I do, far less chance of screwing it up that way).

The usual offer I make stands: If you're in the UK, I'll print a couple of copies of the plans off 1:1 and put them in the post. It's better han doing the work I'm paid for, atleast I get a thank you.

I'm currently doing my first guitar (a double cutaway Les Paul, with a PRS style headstock) and it really isn't that hard to do the body. As for the finish, I'd decide after the body is made.

Kickz:

2d plans are probably better than 3d because when it comes to cutting the wood (if you've printed the plans 1:1 scale) you can just cut the paper out, glue it to the top of your wood and cut round it (well thats what I do, far less chance of screwing it up that way).

The usual offer I make stands: If you're in the UK, I'll print a couple of copies of the plans off 1:1 and put them in the post. It's better han doing the work I'm paid for, atleast I get a thank you.

I'm currently doing my first guitar (a double cutaway Les Paul, with a PRS style headstock) and it really isn't that hard to do the body. As for the finish, I'd decide after the body is made.

Thanks for the offer! But I'm in Canada and after looking at the DFX file, I think it would be useless as a plan because it dosen't have the cavities. I did order the Tele plans from MIMF.com and I heard on other forums that they were good. I should be getting them this week, I'll let you guys know!

Thanks,

joe