22 Inch Scale Guitar For My Granddaughter

Unfortunately, for various reasons, including losing my digital camera, I didn't chart the progress of this build, but I will for the next one.

As you can see, it is heart shaped. 22 inch scale length, and built mainly from bits and pieces I had laying around what I laughingly call my workshop :D

The body is made from four pieces of poplar glued together. The top is a 1/4 thick slice of African mahogany, not wide enough, so I put it on in two pieces - spot the join :D

The neck is a poplar and mahogany laminate which was slightly too short, so I scarfed a bit of mahogany on the headstock end and made it into a feature. The square fretboard dots are abalone, the AB (my initials) on the fretboard and my granddaughter's name SIAN on the body are MOP.

The fretboard is padauk and has a 12 inch radius. Standard gauge fretwire was used. A single action box type truss rod is fitted. This came off an old broken Strat copy I picked up for £1 at a car boot sale. I had to shorten it a little to fit, but it does the job. The pickup also came off the same guitar. I dyed the top, sprayed the back with a metallic black rattle can I had in my cupboard, and sprayed the whole thing with about 10 coats of acrylic clear car lacquer from another two rattle cans.

Although the pickup is a cheapie Chinese thing, it sound surprisingly good, not tinny at all, but I think perhaps the position I fitted it may have helped the tone.

I haven't bothered fitting a tone control as my granddaughter is only just seven years old, and I don't think she would use one.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this scrap wood musical heart B)

sianguitar.jpg

Thanks for the compliments, folks :D I can hardly wait for Christmas to see Sian's face when she sees it. I told her I'd make her one, but she has no idea what it looks like. I think (hope!) she'll be thrilled :D