Sanding Sealer/grain Filling/blush Question

I'm at the stage of my build where I'm sealing over my dyed finish. I used 3 coats of cristalac clear grain filler sanding back to wood each time (Before dyeing)

I started shooting Deft laquer sanding sealer the other day and noticed my grain didnt fill nearly as well as I thought it did. I shot about 5 coats then let it sit for 24 hours then carefully sanded.

Sanding took out maybe 65% of the grain depressions and helped level the base. But there are still some grain valleys that aren't filling well. Or filling slowly anyways.

As I understand it the Deft Lacquer sanding sealer is just clear lacquer with more solids in it. Should I be worried about applying more coats to fill the grain? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was a bad idea. But if its the same as the lacquer clear why would that matter?

Also, I've noticed on several coats me developing some blushing (turning milky/smokey grey where thicker) where I was laying it on a little too thick. I thought I would have to go back and sand it off but 20 min later its gone each time. It appears its gassing off or something. Is this Its 75 degrees out and humidity is 32%.

How worried should I be about the blush?

How worried should I be about multiple coats of sanding sealer to fill the grain?

Thanks in advance.

The blush is occurring because you are getting heavy with your coats, and even with the low humidity, you are still trapping some vapor in the lacquer. Try to make your coats more even and a little lighter, and in 75/32% you should have no problems.

As for grain filling, it will take you more time and material to fill, but should be fine as you continue to sand back to see how much fill has occurred. If you are really pressed for material, you can take a toothpick and drop fill the big voids to limit material waste, but either way you will be fine, just spray light, even, and overlap at least 1/3 per pass and you are good to go.

Lacquer burns into itself, so you don't have to worry about witness lines with lacquer, one of the reasons we have used it in this industry for so many years. I like Deft stuff for doing a mild vintage tint, as it has a slight Amber color to it as most lacquers do, and it dries very hard. You should be fine as long as you don't build the finish to 1/8" thick....LOLj/k that is where cracking starts.

Thanks. I just shot another coat. This time being careful to lay on a thinner coat. I'm shooting about 8" away until I barely have a wet look and I'm getting blush again. Its gassing off and disappearing after 15 min but still getting it either way. If I spray any lighter I cant get a wet coat.

Suggestions?

Thanks. I just shot another coat. This time being careful to lay on a thinner coat. I'm shooting about 8" away until I barely have a wet look and I'm getting blush again. Its gassing off and disappearing after 15 min but still getting it either way. If I spray any lighter I cant get a wet coat.

Suggestions?

I've run into the same issues with sanding sealer. Bottom line is if it gasses off and disappears, don't worry about it. It will not come back. Also of note was when I switched from the sanding sealer and went to laquer I got zero blush in the same conditions. Drak has said that sealer is a wast of time since it is softer than the laquer....just use laquer to seal with.

SR

Yeah, I am not big on sealer either, it's probably the sealer blushing, not humidity. Sealers were basically used to seal in grain fill and color to prevent color lift and sand through, giving a good surface to spray finish coats on. Try your finish coats and see how it works out.

Not all brands, but a lot of them contain some sort of filler in the sanding sealer as well. A lot of times it's soap. This is simply to aid in sanding the base level, it is generally not recomendded to build thickness with sanding sealer because it does not cure as hard as the lacquer does. It is basically only meant to do as the name implies, seal the wood and is easier to sand than straight lacquer.