Build Three: The Skinny

Actually those colors are exactly what I'm seeing as well. Honeyburst....yeah. I'm thinking a nice honey colored amber in the middle...or the shade of a nice ale with a burst around the edges the shade of a good Irish red. That wood in the top looks so good and it want to retain a little of its identity, at least that's what it's saying to me. I see lines of bubbles rising from the bottom of a glass of beer in the grain and spalt patterns as well. A burst of dark reddish amber (like an Irish red) would tie in nicely with the Padouk stripes in your neck.

SR

Great job so far! Looking like it will be a serious player!

How about a dragonburst top with the back see through blue and the neck natural in color? Natural binding on the body to seperate the top from the body. That would look great with the wood choice you did and shouldn't be too hard if you went with maybe using Duplicolors Metalcast rattle paints for your colors. I am about to do a Firebird restore and I am I thinking about that myself so it's on the brain. :D

DragonBurstWarriorFour.jpg

Edited by Dirty Al

Spraying anything, even rattle cans, is not going to be a possibility due to the fact I'm in an apartment.

I like the idea of a burst of some sort.

maybe like this:

original.jpg

My other concern is that - as this is my last build - I don't want to buy a ton of dye I'll never use again. I like the look of the water soluble aniline dyes from LMII. Could I achieve a decent burst with just, say, amber and red, or amber and brown? I think the amber very thinned could be almost a yellow, through to almost orange at stronger concentration, then a red or brown could pick it there.

hmmm...

lots to think about.

That mock up is almost exactly what I was seeing in my head...with maybe just a hint of the honey gold in the middle.

My other concern is that - as this is my last build - I don't want to buy a ton of dye I'll never use again. I like the look of the water soluble aniline dyes from LMII. Could I achieve a decent burst with just, say, amber and red, or amber and brown? I think the amber very thinned could be almost a yellow, through to almost orange at stronger concentration, then a red or brown could pick it there.

hmmm...

lots to think about.

I think your ideas about concentrations are spot on. Check out Andy's GOTM entrant for this month. He says in his thread that his burst was all wipe on dyes.

Lastly....never say never. This stuff is addictive. I barely play, already have two, have no concept of sales.......and the urge to build another is growing stronger every day. :D

SR

alrighty.

Neck carve largely done. I wanted to get the bulk done before fretting, but equally wanted to finish it once the neck pocket was cut so I could blend it in as much as possible with the heel.

Looking pretty nice. I like neck carving. Pretty hard to mess up. My tools were my ibex violin plane, a plastic surform, a scraper and some 60 grit. I'm sure there are probably more appropriate tools, but those are what seem to work best for me.

373921_10150423618412167_560627166_8774624_530843862_n.jpg

377540_10150423618567167_560627166_8774627_397750742_n.jpg

wet:

393952_10150423618647167_560627166_8774629_1171172268_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

and today I dropped the guitar while oiling it.

From a pretty great height.

Onto a wood floor.

F&^%K!!!

There's a chance the broke bits may glue back. It ain't gonna look pretty, but it might still play nice.

Or it might be firewood.

Ouch! :D

Indeed!

Patch it up a swear it is road wear.

SR

Seems like it will patch up okay, and the aesthetic damage will be the kind you'd only notice if someone pointed it out.

Frustrating, but not as bad as it could have been. The neck cracked a little near the heel, but not all the way through, so I was able to dribble some Titebond in and clamp and it seems stronger than ever now.