Lee's Spalted Beech Tele

Well Xadioriderx, I took your advice and coated the whole thing again.

I've reapplied the methonol dye again and I think its turned out tip top. I used a diluted mixture so it was not so orange and I like it better now. I also diluted the mixture even more and gave the spalted top a very light coat just to darken it a tiny bit. I think this works also.

What do you all think. Better now?

DSC_6521.jpg

DSC_6524.jpg

DSC_6525.jpg

DSC_6527.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks and yes it turned out well.

Its now got 2 coats of lacquer and will get 3 coats tomorrow then its a 21day cure. Photos tommorow.

I've just had a thought. Can I enter this for the GOTM comp for say October when it will be complete?

Yes you can....or any other month you so choose, it does not matter when it was completed.

SR

I know xadioriderx but when you see it in the flesh the grains in the Wenge centre stipe were deep and took your eye off the great spalt figure. What I did was to spot fill the pores with lacquer using a lab pipette. next I sanded it back hoping that would be it but 5 coats must have only been microns thick because I sanded it with a 400 grit Siasoft pad and it di not take long for little bits of bare wood to start showing.

Note to myself: I must remember all the mistakes for the next build.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! It looks great! I love what you did with the woods, can't wait to see it put together. As far as the finish goes, buffing machines will get you to a glass finish and a final hand buff never hurts. BUT the only time I've used nitro I used my cordless drill with a buffing pad and a liquid automotive buffing compound. You definitely have a lot of control with that setup. You also might let the lacquer cure a bit more. 3 weeks can be ok depending on weather, but longer is better. I remember having a slightly similar issues, so I just let the body cure another 2 weeks and it came out perfect.

Here's that guitar I finished, about 4 years later

6145441846_5a4bb13ea5.jpg

shielding the control cavity is fine - but i am not a fan of shielding pickup cavities.

they have metal baseplates and sometimes covers which do the same thing anyway, and shielding in the cavity can change the tone of humbuckers quite a bit (it actually sounds more boxed in!). dont know why but its generally ok with single coils

and if anyone things it doesnt make a tonal difference, well fair enough - but either way it shouldn't be needed with humbuckers

I'm using P90's humbucker sized. I done this without really knowing about it. Should I just pull it all out?

may as well elave it there - and if you dont like the tone or its not as full as expected pull it out and see if it helps. but if your humbucker sized p-90s have a metal baseplate and metal cover then its really not needed in the cavity as well