Lots Of Free Wood

Ok so I got a whole bunch of free wood from a tree they were cutting down at work and I just happen to know somone with a mill and a kiln who will cut and dry it for next to nothing.

that being said I was told this tree was a Honey Maple? can i make a guitar out of this? it was a massive tree with a 4 foot diameter trunk. i would like to make a 1 peice guitar from it as there is some nice spalting in places but most is clear with no knots.

will Honey maple make a nice guitar or am i wasting my time?

Ok so I got a whole bunch of free wood from a tree they were cutting down at work and I just happen to know somone with a mill and a kiln who will cut and dry it for next to nothing.

that being said I was told this tree was a Honey Maple? can i make a guitar out of this? it was a massive tree with a 4 foot diameter trunk. i would like to make a 1 peice guitar from it as there is some nice spalting in places but most is clear with no knots.

will Honey maple make a nice guitar or am i wasting my time?

I've used silver leaf maple for necks. Very nice.... even had a bit of flame in it.

A leaf would do it but I realize at this time of year that ain't happening. Can't think of any other way right off hand. But being a maple, it will be useful in some capacity for a guitar.

so are all types of maple ok to use for necks?

Yes - their botanical names usually start with "Acer". If it start with "Acer", you should be fine.

Unless the piece for the neck has spalt in it, then it is a big no-no. You said you wanted to make a one piece guitar, which makes me think all one slab of wood and no glue joints what so ever. If you want spalt in the body, I would be worried about the stability of the wood in the neck.

ok i got some of this wood milled up today with the rest being milled sunday. But i have WAY more than i need is anyone in the london area that would like some?

its 1 inch rough cut and 2 inch rough cut

i got it for free so its free to you as well. you could make necks out of it though it does have some staining in it so bodies would be better as you can paint those

anyway PM me if interested i have about 40 board feet to give away i can have i kiln dried for you if you like as well for 75 cents a foot