To Angle Or Not To Angle. That Is My Question

Ok so i recess my tom and I can avoid having to angle the neck. Now would I need an exact depth for the recess? I figure I can find an approx. height from a full scale drawing and perhaps add an 1/8 inch to allow room for adjustment, also assuming that my heigh adjustment screws will not be bottomed out for proper adjustment on the total bridge height.

bridge is about 9mm from lowest point to bottom of highest saddle. I should have about 6.5mm from face of guitar/bottom of fretboard to top of frets.

However it will mean I need a taller block of wood to cut the core from. Right now, I am planning on laminating 3-4 strips measuring 1.5 inch tall getting me a 1.5 inch thick body. If my planning is correct, the amount of cutting should be minimized to what I can do with the tools at hand.

Just because it looks hacky to me.Now that I make most of mine set neck(I used to be a huge neck through lover...still like them,I just prefer building a set neck) it is really simple to put in an angle.I can either slope the heel or the pocket...

I like the way the headstock seems to lean in towards my shoulder more comfortably than without a neck angle.And the reason I like a TOM on a guitar is because of how far it sits off the body.Feels like I can really dig in on my picking when I want.

Man,I always angle the headstock at about 11 degrees or so...most times it just depends on how thick the wood is that I am cutting it from(I don't generally use scarf joints.)..with a fixed bridge all that really matters is that you have enough break pressure at the nut.If I am using a trem I always make sure to match the locking nut I am using.

Neck angle depends on alot of things..Perry was good enough to draw it out for us like this

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14036

I never measure it by degrees....I just draw it out and measure how much blocking I need under the front of my templaate to get the height I need at the bridge.I always make it where a straight edge set across my frets extending over the bridge will hit the saddles with the bridge as far down as it will go...Since strings sit above the frets,this puts me right where I want to be every time.

I think I'll take another look at what I've got going on. From what I've seen from images of jags is that they've got none of minimal angle going for them. I'll look to see where the strings fall. I don't mind the look of a recessed tom and if anything It shouldn't be sitting too far down either.

I COULD cut the angle into the face of the neck (under the fretboard) and add a piece to support the end of the fretboard on the top of the guitar. I think it would work but I am still hesitant because of what is required.

I prefer a recessed TOM, simply because I find it more comfortable to play. I don't really like it when the strings are too high off the body but some guitars, it just feels right, like a LP. Usally, a 3deg. angle is enough, but I would strongly suggest you draw everything out at scale and measure the angle that way.