Real Gold Top Les Paul

The first round of clearcoat over the gold has now dried. All irregularities of the gilding show through the PU finish, was naive to expect anything else, but I really fancy the handcrafted appearance. Would be a shame if it was mistaken for a regular gold top :D

gold_lacquer.jpg

PS. The March issue of Guitarist magazine had a 12-string resonator with a gilded resonator cover plate by Versoul, my fellow countryman.

• 1 month later...

cant go wrong with mules in a LP. i am using some BKP's which are a mix of mule & stormy monday for the 12 string on my double neck. The bass side is getting some BKP thunderbird pickups... not something they normally offer

Joo....on valmis! Sun N-tuner viritin on hyvä idea. Olen ajatellut ostaa lapan viritin. Yksi viritin monta kitaraa on halvempaa kuin yksi viritin jokaiselle kitara!

Sorry. I have only been learning Finnish for a few months :-\

I'm going to email Amfisound this viikonloppua and ask about wood for my kesäprojekti!

More photos in daylight (we have some now) and get her into GOTM!

Joo....on valmis! Sun N-tuner viritin on hyvä idea. Olen ajatellut ostaa lapan viritin. Yksi viritin monta kitaraa on halvempaa kuin yksi viritin jokaiselle kitara!

Sorry. I have only been learning Finnish for a few months :-\

I'm going to email Amfisound this viikonloppua and ask about wood for my kesäprojekti!

More photos in daylight (we have some now) and get her into GOTM!

Prostheta,

I like your Finnish ;-) What's your kesäprojekti?

Amfisound is a good source for wood but their stock varies. I know the guys very well, their workshop is on the other side of my town and I deal with them frequently. I can recommend both their tonewoods and guitars. Have you read the two books about Finnish luthiers?

GOTM - will do!

I'm not sure about my summer project.

I've been researching Brian May's "Red Special" guitar for about six months (I run redspecial.fi which I am hoping to translate into Finnish, slowly) and would eventually like to build a complete replica using as many authentic materials as is practical or realistically possible. On that front I have decided that the first "Red Special" replica be a "Black Special" with a hardtail, since I have little experience with metalworking (for the tremolo system) and no equipment to do it anyway.

The other ideas are basses, since I'm a bassist really. Either a Thunderbird (problematic as it would be costly to build the neck tenon), a "G&L L-2000" type, a Jazz type (would want to hunt some nice Birdseye for the neck) or an all-white Rickenbacker 4003 bass. I'm likely going to build the Ricky as it being all-Maple should be simple and relatively cheap to acquire, plus I don't have to worry about the "wood candy" I would have to build into a cleared Maple neck. I guess it all depends on whether I can find a really nice 34" x 3/4" x 3-3/4" piece of birdseye or flame Maple to suit our very limited opiskelijan budget!

Sorry to almost derail or go off topic. Aurinko paistaa tänään! Otta valokuvia, nyt!!

<edit>

Oh yes. You mentioned earlier on in the thread about the variegated gold leaf....AndyT on here won GOTM December 2008 with this build which has to be one of my favourite instruments seen on here in *looks at user info* ....five years! Absolutely fantastic combination of finishing ideas. Food for thought.

Edited by Prostheta

Oh yes. You mentioned earlier on in the thread about the variegated gold leaf....AndyT on here won GOTM December 2008 with this build which has to be one of my favourite instruments seen on here in *looks at user info* ....five years! Absolutely fantastic combination of finishing ideas. Food for thought.

Holy s*#t, that is one beaute!! I have a Korean Tele that I hardly play, maybe I should redo the top with one of the fancy leaves, I like the orange one.

Anyway, took your advice and photographed my gold top in spring sunshine for GOTM, go vote!