Help Me Understand This Truss Rod

So I picked up a few inexpensive truss rods on ebay (the 17 1/2" version of these) to try on a couple builds I have going on. I was a little surprised when I got them because the nut is not welded on the end like most are on these kinds of rods. The nut will twist on and flex the rod just like you would expect, but when twisted the other way, the nut simply screws off. That worries me slightly because that means I am only getting the same amount of benefit as a one way rod. I know that guitars have been built for ages with one way rods, but I like the flexibility (pun intended) of having a rod that can go both ways. I was wondering if anyone has experience with rods like these. Do I need to weld the nut on or something? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Bummer, guess I better hope that these necks don't develop an upbow. Do you think I would be better off getting new rods, or should I be okay with these (I'm thinking 50 years of electric guitars can't be THAT bad, right)? Thanks for the input.

Edited by Ripthorn

My friend got a brand new Gibson black beauty a few months back, he said he was having trouble getting a low action on it, I said I would have a look and gun sighted it down the neck and %^&*$ me it has a back bow. I had never heard of a back bow until I joined this forum, I used to think they were as rare as hen's teeth. Now, I would resell those rods on eBay but say they are single action, and get some double action rods. A guitar build is such an investment in time, it's good to use the best materials :D

I decided last night that I shouldn't skimp on this part of the build. You're right, Muzz, in that there is too much time and effort put into these to not put in the right item.