My Current Build.. Steampunk Slide

Hi guys... new guy here. This is my newest project... a steampunk themed invention of my own. It's basically a 3-string lap slide guitar with a 4th string on its own, off-set scale length. The idea is to fret the bass string with your thumb while you use the slide on the other 3 strings.

The starting lumber is an old mahogany casting form:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Control box started. The candelabra socket happened to thread perfectly on the plumbing connector so i've let this coincidence decide its placement. The socket has been hollowed out to allow the light organ wires to run up into a hollowed out S6 light bulb that will contain the LEDs

22.jpg

Control box progress. Controls are series/parallel toggle, volume, tone, and light organ on/off.

23.jpg

Ouput Jack:

24.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Presenting 7D9887 (Timer Slider):

09.jpg

Description:

7D9887, aka "Time Slider", is a lap slide guitar with a few unique features. The most obvious of these is the autonomous bass string. It is off-set, has a slightly shorter scale-length, and considerably lower action than the other strings. The purpose of this setup is to allow the player to comfortably fret the bass string with his or her thumb while using a slide at the same location on the other strings.

Another unique feature is the mobile pickup, giving the player to an additional way to control tone. Turning the tap handle moves the pickup.

Finally, a much less less obvious feature of 7D9887 is its naïve application of general relativity to quantum mechanics -- the ability to send sound waves very slightly back in time. At the core of the instrument a heavy atomic nucleus rests inside a strong magnetic field, causing it to elongate it into a cylinder. Sound waves generated by the strings are then projected across this exceptionally dense spinning cylinder, effectively sending the signal approximately 687 milliseconds back in time. By amplifying this time distorted signal along with the signal at its creation we achieve a sort of reversed echo effect. This can be a bit disconcerting at first as the player hears each note just before he or she plays it, followed immediately by the same note as it is actually played. Under most interpretations of quantum mechanics this does not violate causality and is therefore safe for use by anyone with more than 687 milliseconds of time to kill.

rotating_cylinder_model_thumb.jpg

For more pictures, a full materials list, and a PDF containing 30 or so progress shots taken during the building of the instrument:

7D9887 on Jugtones.com

Video sample coming soon... or soon-ish :D

To Quote my good friend Don : "Farr~rout!" ......

Thats pretty out there! I freekin love it. :D

The thumb bass thing had me sitting the other day, playing Air slide with the thumb getting in there. Way cool feature.

Does the lightbulb really dance to the music??

I built an odd guitar called "the Jug" .....

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=42609&st=0&p=450783&hl=+&fromsearch=1&#entry450783

You might get a kick out of it...

OSI, yep.. the LEDs are connected to a "light organ", with the controlling microphone in the tap mouth. You can get a beginner's "sound to light" kit from Vellman (i think Radio Shack carries them) for $7 that comes with a printed circuit board and all the parts, including the mic. I needed a more customized version to fit into the control box so I built my own on perfboard using the Vellman schematic.

Oh, and cool guitar... awesome finish!