My First Build

So this is my first post, so I thought I would make it a useful one. I have been trolling around here for a couple months reading and reading some more. Love this place!! Hopefully between here, Martin Koch's book, and any advice I get from you guys, I will be able to complete this first build in a reasonable amount of time.

The specs so far:

5 Piece Maple/Walnut neck

27" Scale 8 String Bolt on neck

Hipshot Bridge

Locking tuners (Not sure yet, any Ideas?)

Ash,Alder or Zebrawood body????

Seymour Duncan Blackouts

All sorts of other Stuff Ive forgotten

So here we have the neck wood

IMG_1319.JPG

$26 bucks at windsor plywood, thought it was a good deal, and I think the maple and walnut have a nice contrast and the ebony is very nice, should be able to get 4 fretboards out of it.

IMG_1334.JPG

The pieces cut up on my boss's table saw then a really crappy plane job with my $20 home depot special.

IMG_1343.JPG

Here's a better picture of my neck clamping job I think I used enough. Tomorrow I will run the neck through the planer,

get her down to 13/16th's or so then cut the scarf joint. Still haven't worked out how I am gonna do that yet.

What do you guys think of using a compound miter saw? I am thinking about a 13 degree angle, but that is based on nothing but what I have seen others do. I just want to tilt it back far enough to keep the strings tight in the nut. I am open to suggestions. :D

What do you guys think of using a compound miter saw? I am thinking about a 13 degree angle, but that is based on nothing but what I have seen others do. I just want to tilt it back far enough to keep the strings tight in the nut. I am open to suggestions. :D

I use 12 degrees. 14 degrees is standard so I see no issue with 13. Unless you just don't like the number then you could try 12.99. Or maybe 12.95 if you fancy.

[in a Douglas Adams voice]

I used a chop saw for years. I now use my radial arm saw cause i am too lazy to get the chop saw out from under the bench.

I use a bandsaw but used to use a chopsaw with a jig to get the 13deg angle.

Either way, it won't come out clean enough for glue up. You'll have to make it nice and even. I rough cut and use my router on a special jig I built - a 13 deg angle router sled.

In terms of clamps used on your neck - that's looks like enough to me.

Thanks you very much for the replies guys. I don't have an aversion to using 13 :D I would like to have the headstock back as far as I need to to be structurally sound. What would you guys say is the minimum? I'd prefer to keep the least possible angle with the best strength.

IMG_1353.JPG

Here is the neck blank all glued up, I think it looks great with the walnut stripes. Just needs a little sanding, I don't have access to a jointer, so I'll have to take extra care by hand to get it ready for the finger board glue-up.

IMG_1354.JPG

I also managed to get 3 fretboard blanks from the ebony I had so I guess this first build won't be my last B)\

You might also notice a couple little stripes on those ebony blanks. My bosses planer has a couple small rock chips in the blade so those are tiny high spots that will need to be sanded out. Beggars can't be choosers though so I'll use what I have, big thanks to the boss man for that :D

You might also notice a couple little stripes on those ebony blanks. My bosses planer has a couple small rock chips in the blade so those are tiny high spots that will need to be sanded out. Beggars can't be choosers though so I'll use what I have, big thanks to the boss man for that :D

Looking good Madcow! Don't worry too much about having to sand your joints after planing, mine came out great and I don't even have a jointer. I just cut my pieces to size on the table saw and sanded them flat with round adhesive backed sanding discs stuck to the saw table. I used a bandsaw for the scarf joint and sanded the pieces flat by hand afterward. Probably would have been easier with a guide of some sort but I just sanded and checked the fit until it looked good.

Also on that scarf joint I would suggest clamping your parts together dry and drilling a couple alignment pin holes through the excess wood on either side of where the nut will be. I had some 3/32" pin stock hanging around so I drilled 3/32" holes in mine. When you glue it up, the pins will not only put it back exactly where you had it, they will prevent things from sliding around when you clamp the glued joint.

results:

IMG_0775.jpg

Wademeister that is an excellent idea I may use. Got to work today and realized I don't have clamps here so I'm looking for some way to clamp to the saw. Might make some clamps from wood and bolts, we'll see.

Also, I am tempted to make the body out of walnut. It would be a nice look with the neck I think, and seems to be a decent tonewood. Anyone have any opinions on walnut as a body wood??

Edited by Themadcow

Wademeiater that is an excellent idea I may use. Got to work today and realized I don't have clamps here so I'm looking for some way to clamp to the saw. Might make some clamps from wood and bolts, we'll see.

Also, I am tempted to make the body out of walnut. It would be a nice look with the neck I think, and seems to be a decent tonewood. Anyone have any opinions on walnut as a body wood??

Walnut is perfectly acceptable (maybe even a step up from Alder or Ash) tone wood.

Wademeiater that is an excellent idea I may use. Got to work today and realized I don't have clamps here so I'm looking for some way to clamp to the saw. Might make some clamps from wood and bolts, we'll see.

Walnut is perfectly acceptable (maybe even a step up from Alder or Ash) tone wood.

Thanks for that. Gonna start my hunt for body wood this weekend. Once I glue up my scarf joint I'll be at a stand still for a couple days while I order my trussrod.

Scarf joint adventure begins :D

IMG_1355.JPG

The scarf joint jig of the century

IMG_1356.JPG

So it worked, but it cut way out of square.......

IMG_1358.JPG

I managed to clean the pieces up with a random orbit sander and a bit of elbow grease

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

We will see tomorrow if all my effort paid off. Next time I'll take my time to make sure the saw cuts perfect. My impatience will be the death of me one day.

eh? What flavor of walnut? Black?

Edited by masterblastor

Windsor Plywood has a bunch of walnut offcuts which is what I cut the neck laminates out of. I was gonna take some of my left over strips down and see if I can match it up. I honestly don't know what kind of walnut it is, I would have to know more about wood than I do to tell you.

I am fond of the expensive ones... Claro, Franquette, Bastogne, Peruvian. But Black or anything from the West coast of the US is fine. Watch out for the cut... a lot of plain walnut is riftsawn and it is tough to find nice quartersawn or flatsawn pieces.

Well the scarf joint turned out pretty good, not perfect, but a little sanding and it's good to go. I rough cut the neck with jigsaw, which I know isn't the best way to do it, but it worked. I'm thinking it's time I learn how to use a router properly, so that will be the next step. A little practice building some templates and such, and then I will continue with the truss rod and get going on the body.

IMG_1373.JPG

I am fond of the expensive ones... Claro, Franquette, Bastogne, Peruvian. But Black or anything from the West coast of the US is fine. Watch out for the cut... a lot of plain walnut is riftsawn and it is tough to find nice quartersawn or flatsawn pieces.

Awesome, I saw i nice looking walnut board the other day. I thought it was labled black walnut. The price was good, maybe I'll give it a shot. It'll give me something to play around with until the tops and fret boards show up for my other builds.

Awesome, I saw i nice looking walnut board the other day. I thought it was labled black walnut. The price was good, maybe I'll give it a shot. It'll give me something to play around with until the tops and fret boards show up for my other builds.

Hmm, interesting. It's a quote inside a quote inside a quote inside a quote. Inception?

[quote name='RestorationAD' timestamp='1296263143'

post='483208']

Inside another quote?

Hmm, interesting. It's a quote inside a quote inside a quote inside a quote. Inception?

[quote name='RestorationAD' timestamp='1296263143'

post='483208']

Inside another quote?

• 1 month later...

So it's been a while since I updated this thread. My main post is over on sevenstring but I though I'd give you guys and update.

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1394.JPG

After I slotted the fretboard, I routed for the trussrod

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

Then it was time for glueup

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

Now it was time to think about body wood. I decided on maple with a walnut top..Went down to my local windsor plywood and grabbed 60" of 8/4 walnut. They cut it into 20" pieces for me. The plan being that I could bookmatch all three pieces and end up with enough for 2 guitars......

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

I used the second set for my guitar, and the first one will be for a PRS copy I decided to build my dad for his birthday..More on that later.

IMG_1487.JPG

And the maple blank

IMG_1493.JPG

I surface both blanks down to about 7/8th's of and in and sandwiched them together...

IMG_1514.JPG

And after a couple minutes on the bandsaw

IMG_1522.JPG\

IMG_1521.JPG

Well the scarf joint turned out pretty good, not perfect, but a little sanding and it's good to go. I rough cut the neck with jigsaw, which I know isn't the best way to do it, but it worked.

There is nothing wrong with using a jig saw, it's basically a mini hand held band saw almost. I used those for a long time until I learned how to use a bandsaw properly.