Second Build - Single Cut - Red And White

I think that knob is cool enough to build a guitar around. :D

Should you try that I'll provide the knobs B)

Is that open invitation? Or just to him? :D And is there a time limit... cause the LAST thing I need right now is so start yet ANOTHER project! But I could definitely see myself doing it in the future when I move some stuff along!

Chris

Is that open invitation? Or just to him? :D And is there a time limit... cause the LAST thing I need right now is so start yet ANOTHER project! But I could definitely see myself doing it in the future when I move some stuff along!

Chris

To be honest with you I did not think anyone would take that offer seriously B) Anyhow, promise is a promise so please contact me if you ever end up needing knobs like those. And this is no more open invitation :D.

Edited by henrim

• 5 months later...

Thanks everybody!

the shape of the guitar is getting pretty close to what I want. There are a couple of things I need to decide before I start to prepare to finishing.

One thing is the knobs and an other thing is to find out a solution for installing the output jack. I'm going to try a type that is used on acoustic guitars (e.g. Allparts Switchcraft jack) or a stratocaster type jack plate.

The original plan was to install the jack to the cavity cover and that is what I will do unless I can figure out an other solution.

Then I'm still uncertain whether I'm going to cover the pups or not. But that can be decided later...

/henri

Edited by henrim

Checked from their website and they do mail order. Also quickly googled (keywords: titebond hinta) and there seem to be couple of other places in Finland selling the stuff as well. Prices are quite the same although (surprisingly) the before mentioned company had the cheapest price. Postage may vary so you may want to check that... unfortunately there is a good chance that the price of the bottle will be doubled.

Thanks Henri - I hadn't gotten around to shopping for Titebond yet as I have nothing to bond together tightly at the moment. :D

I'll have another look at this one closer to the time when I get some more wood for the wings of my bass. I'm sure that buying a litre of Titebond and watering it down with a flask of Saarenmaa will bring the economics of it back into check.

really like the build so far and especially keen on the jigs and overall clever thinking for a bunch of the processes. can't wait to see it complete!

on another note, in the post where you show the back shaping the final photo shows a ruler/pin guage thing. i've been wanting one for ages to help measure and replicate particular neck carves but have no idea what they are called or where to buy one. would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what to look for.

• 10 years later...

All the pics on this one have gone missing. Like I said in my other thread it's been a while. Anyhow this one has seen some progress too.

I finished the top with shellac. Which looks fine but I found it too vulnerable. Like I should have known. And I actually knew but still wanted to do French polish. Because French polish. Anyway I just decided to spray a bit of nitro on top of it to protect the surface better. Back side is finished with Danish oil and I like it. So I'm going to leave that as it is. No idea how nitro would bond to Danish oil anyway. Satiny Danish oil looks nice on padouk too but I want the top to be glossy as that way the wood really shows depth and miraculous changing colors. 

FullSizeRender.jpeg

EC1191E7-1D73-46D8-BB61-2C2DF5BA8402.jpg

IMG_7872.jpeg

22AC58F2-41F6-4A40-A55D-64DC595D5073.jpg

• Like 3

Got a new patch of nitro and started to prepare the top for spraying when I found myself pondering the hardware once again. With the black guitar the vision was clear when I started working on it again. With this one, not so much. In the very beginning I think was going to make pickup covers for this one out of silver. I don’t want them anymore nor do I want to make them. I then thought about wooden covers. But if I had to make the final decision right now I would just use white humbuckers as is. Or almost as is as I stained the plastic a bit on those in the picture. Originally they are too bright to my liking. Maybe I just paint the bottom plate black, shim them to height and screw in place.

The bridge is an other concern. It’s too bulky. Anyway the studs are already in place so I will just live with it.

The third thing is that I don’t have control pots planned. Reading the earlier discussion I have had some plan about knobs, which I didn’t like. The good thing is that I don’t quite remember how they looked so maybe I can design them the same knobs again and like them this time 😂

E14C4CF6-BE93-4E9A-B442-96BA40F38B04.jpeg

02CC90DE-4A1D-426B-BDB8-8847CDAC6A27.jpeg

Edited by henrim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

That bridge reminds me of a lot of 70s/80s Japanese guitars. I like it.

That is a Schaller 455. No longer in production. I like it too but feels now a bit too heavy on this guitar. Or unbalanced. Maybe I need metal pickup covers after all. That could help. Btw I have one extra that I could part with.

Funny, reading back on these old conversations. Plektra Trading are ridiculously expensive, still. I bought a gallon of Titebond from Axminster in the UK before that dumb Brexit thing they did. FWIW, a lot of standard D3 glues like Kiilto's basic adhesives are just as strong.

Metal pickup rings might be just as good as covers.

Funny, reading back on these old conversations. Plektra Trading are ridiculously expensive, still. I bought a gallon of Titebond from Axminster in the UK before that dumb Brexit thing they did. FWIW, a lot of standard D3 glues like Kiilto's basic adhesives are just as strong.

Metal pickup rings might be just as good as covers.

Yes, that’s what I have understood about glues too. Titebond has handy bottles and nozzles though 😄  I might add a bottle of it to order if I buy something else, but otherwise the glue I get from local hardware store is just as good. 

Pickup rings could be the solution . I tried some that I had but didn’t like them that much. I may machine new ones. Actually I’m just about to go to garage to mill a combined three pickup ring for the rebuild in an other thread. At least that is something I’m going to try out for that one.

FWIW, a lot of standard D3 glues like Kiilto's basic adhesives are just as strong.

Most likely so. However, it's hard for a non-professinal woodworker to know which variety to choose or where to buy it. A glimpse on their site talked about industrial adhesives and emissions. A dozen of D3 (which to me says nothing) glues in the woodworking section alone! The consumer section was all about cleaning.

With Titebond it's so easy: Known good, the most common one being usually the best alternative of their variety for guitar building.

EriKeeper and the likes are good wood glues but I rather wouldn't use them for guitars because they stay plasticky flexible whereas Titebond dries hard similarly to the more traditional hide glues which may transfer vibrations just a tad better. Most likely there's similarly behaving domestic glues but I wouldn't rely on the knowledge of the personnel of K-Rauta or Starkki!

I've bought a couple of gallons of Titebond from Madinter and Maderas Barber for our group. Quite many small Titebond flasks refilled! Piltti jars also work if the glue is spread with a brush.