1728 Guitar Wiring Domain Theft

psw

Guitar Wiring Site, Domain Name Theft...and New Address

For 12 years, Wolf (best known at the great "Guitar Nuts 2" guitar wiring site) has had the internet domain name 1728.com but it was recently hijacked and lost (for now).

This site contained a great number of ideas and clear instructions and principles. While trying to recover the original name, you can find details on guitar wiring like this here... 1728.org guitar wiring basics and check on details HERE and HERE and a GN2 discussion thread here... GN2 1728.org Thread

I'm not sure it will be possible for Wolf to get back the original domain name, there are lessons to be learned for anyone who is exposed or might intend to have their own internet address.

Fortunately though, the great information is not LOST (though clearly by stealing the name, they have stolen the reputation, good will, search profile and traffic it had accumulated over 12 years) and can be found at the new address 1728.org.

A bit of a community service announcement...PLUS...if you have an interest in guitar wiring, Wolf's information is fantastic and has been of use to me many a time...so perhaps check it out for that alone!

Best of luck Wolf

psw

Thanks for alerting this board about the theft of my domain name - 1728.com :D

DC Ross

There are a few reasons that domain name theft is occurring.

China has become a breeding-ground and safe haven for domain name thieves. My domain name was stolen by someone in China and is now registered in China.

The ownership of a domain name is extremely flimsy and tenuous. You would think that if your domain name was stolen, you could easily contact your registrar (or somebody) and it would be quickly returned to you. Absolutely not!! Once a domain name has been transferred to someone else, the previous owner has almost no recourse for its recovery.

The "Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler" of domain names "ICANN" is actually pretty useless. To be fair, they have done some excellent work - they are the folks that thought up the "dot museum" and "dot ws" domain names, making the world a better place for everyone. :D

Pete, please remove the link from your signature. It is not appropriate. Thank you.

will do, if you say so. Just thought it was a way to alert people to this situation effectively and didn't see that it was against the rules, but I as always bow to your decisions regardless. I have no connection to this web site other than have used it as a resource. At the very least, perhaps this thread and the link given, will direct people who so desire it to the information on offer at the new address.

No need to be passive-aggressive Pete. It is not an appropriate method to soapbox it in your signature (that is not its purpose) however your noting the change of domain is welcomed. I sympathise that Wolf lost control of his domain by responding to a phishing email, however this just goes to show how vigilant one has to be with unsolicited email purporting to be from domain registrars, banks, Pfizer, Rolex or the pope. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd reply that I lost the domain name by responding to a "phish" E-Mail. Someone took the time to make it appear real enough, even to the point where the sender's E-Mail address was "GoDaddy.com". Perhaps I should have been more aware but then again some rather knowledgeable folks were fooled by Bernie Madoff.

As I've said before, if you leave your keys in your car, motor running, door wide open, and then someone takes it, that is still auto theft. If the police catch up with that car thief, will everyone just laugh it off because the car was too easy to steal? I don't think so. :D

By the way, thanks folks for helping bring more attention to this. :D

Agreed. Theft of a domain by deception is not acceptable. Despite your registrar not wanting to touch it, you have legal recourse however I would have thought this would be impractically expensive. Scams are becoming more and more sophisticated and I doubt that this will stop. I do think however, that registrars/domain lessors should have a 30-day cooling off period for domain transfers to enable recall back to the original lessee in these circumstances.

I hope these scumbag domain thieves rot in their own filth.wallace.gif

As I've said before, if you leave your keys in your car, motor running, door wide open, and then someone takes it, that is still auto theft. If the police catch up with that car thief, will everyone just laugh it off because the car was too easy to steal? I don't think so.

if the the keys are in the car its joy riding.

im not really sure how they stole the adress but theres a lot of internet things that i really dont understand. i hope you can get it back some how i learned a lot frome that site. if for some reason you can't recover it maybe you can get a new addy.

• 2 weeks later...